Industrial view

Broad oak road railway line in parr.

There has been numerous enquiries about this line,even from me.Maps have been provided.The responses are on this site as well with all the info.

Sorry dont know how to search for them though.Could be on st.helens threads. CEPHOS BRIDGEalso refers.Used to travel up fleet lane to metal bridge went over. RAILWAY HOTEL nearby.

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

Would this line have run from Sutton oak train shed, across fleet lane then threw gaskel park? If so It must have at some point split with 1 part going down boardmans Lane and the other across broad oak road near where the derby & Joan club is now.

I believe it ran from st.helens station across cephos bridge then along boardmans lane side of gaskell park to fleet lane then onwards.

There are maps showing all those lines.Try googling old railway lines or stations.There are loadsa bridges still in existance all round the area with either roads,dirt tracks etc under them.

It split from the Wigan to St Helens line at Carr Mill Junction , over a bridge in Chain Lane , under Blackbrook Road and under the St Helens to Lowton Line , it ran alongside Boardmans Lane and under the Bridge at Broad Oak Road to the crossing at Fleet lane by the Railway pub it continued over Sutton Brook and the line split one way to St Helens and another towards the bridge at Worsley Brow then at Ellamsbridge Road it Merged with the St Helens Runcorn Line .All along its route it had branch lines running to Pits and factories .    

Broad Oak Railway 1.jpg

the line that went alongside boardmans lane and across fleet lane was called blackbrook branch line,the line  forked off just after carr mill bridge was used by freight trains going to liverool via widnes and ditton junction.

CEPHOS BRIDGE. the line over cephos bridge was from the old st Helens central station (where the law  courts are) to haydock/ lowton and leigh,

old railway fireman.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, pauloyick said:

It split from the Wigan to St Helens line at Carr Mill Junction , over a bridge in Chain Lane , under Blackbrook Road and under the St Helens to Lowton Line , it ran alongside Boardmans Lane and under the Bridge at Broad Oak Road to the crossing at Fleet lane by the Railway pub it continued over Sutton Brook and the line split one way to St Helens and another towards the bridge at Worsley Brow then at Ellamsbridge Road it Merged with the St Helens Runcorn Line .All along its route it had branch lines running to Pits and factories .    

Broad Oak Railway 1.jpg

Thanks pauloyick for the picture, it looks like the traffic along the line would have been very busy at the time. It’s surprising how much track was in situ at 1 point and how much lines have been lost over the years.

added 7 minutes later
6 hours ago, hiss said:

the line that went alongside boardmans lane and across fleet lane was called blackbrook branch line,the line  forked off just after carr mill bridge was used by freight trains going to liverool via widnes and ditton junction.

CEPHOS BRIDGE. the line over cephos bridge was from the old st Helens central station (where the law  courts are) to haydock/ lowton and leigh,

old railway fireman.

Thanks for the info hiss. I remember being told about the jcb that got stuck under the bridge on broad oak road when the bridge was being demolished. Is this something that you know about. Also I believe that there was another line and bridge further along broad oak road it would have been where the oddies club was and the Darby & Joan club is today.

I can remember around 1969-1970 I was wagging school at my friends house in Landsbury Avenue and it was the same time as they was filling in the railway cutting between Landsbury and Gaskell Park . We was talking with the workmen and they showed us a human scull that they had just found in the fill and they had found lots of othr bones and sculls before that . It seems that the soil and fill stuff was from the new Market site in St Helens which was also the site of St Marys graveyard .The contractor just threw the scull onto the brazier and burned it . It was said that the bones from St Marys Graveyard were reburied in St Helens Cemetery but thats not 100% true

I remember playing along side this railway line as a child in the 1950's.  in Fry St. There were lot's of those tall purple flowers growing along the side on the grass and old Gas Lamp Post's on the road. 

Hi jowen was it a single line or double? Would this have gone across where the little industrial estate is now facing fry street and run along the back of Malvern road?🤔😊

Yes.It went under the bridge under broadoak Rd. I think it was a single Line.

I remember that line it followed boardmans lane on the left hand side (walking towards Parr from Blackbrook )

Hi Mally the line that you mention is a different line. This 1 was further along broad oak road past the church going towards the horseshoe pub. It would have crossed broad oak road somewhere near where the shed place is today going onto the little industrial estate. It then would have followed the back of Malvern road to the pits.

Yes. It was the line that went behind Malvern Rd. 

added 6 minutes later
13 hours ago, jowen said:

I remember playing along side this railway line as a child in the 1950's.  in Fry St. There were lot's of those tall purple flowers growing along the side on the grass and old Gas Lamp Post's on the 

2 hours ago, Industrial view said:

Hi Mally the line that you mention is a different line. This 1 was further along broad oak road past the church going towards the horseshoe pub. It would have crossed broad oak road somewhere near where the shed place is today going onto the little industrial estate. It then would have followed the back of Malvern road to the pits.

Would that be the one that Crossed over the Flashes  then ? there was no bridge but the built up walls were still there when I was a kid (and dangerous it was too ) 

yeah mally that would be the 1 it went to Southport colliery and Havana pits. It is called the flash today and at 1 point the sidings would have been pretty extensive to the colliery.

added 10 minutes later

Hi jowen it’s all beginning to join up now what the corse of the line was. The line would have ran threw gaskel park now down to the level crossing at the railway pub on fleet lane. Then it would have crossed Sutton road and been at Sutton oak train shed.

added 15 minutes later

Thanks non sibi sed omnibus that would make sense being a single line. I wounder how busy the line was how often it was used.

Used to walk miles along the railway lines as a kid From merton Bank You could walk to Crank 

Yeah You could get to a lot of places along the old lines. I think they should clear the old runcorn gap line again. it is heavily overgrown at the moment  but the line is still in situ up to Morrison’s at Baxters lane. They could of reopened it to the junction given the historical importance of the line. The section Where the line crossed the Liverpool to Manchester line was the first railway in the world to cross another railway. But if it did re open today to the junction just think of all the places people could get to.

3 hours ago, mally said:

Used to walk miles along the railway lines as a kid From merton Bank You could walk to Crank 

You could walk from Moss Bank to Rainford along the line.

Quicker than by walking by road.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HORT said:

You could walk from Moss Bank to Rainford along the line.

Quicker than by walking by road.

closing the level crossing gates just as we got up to them.wonder how we would react these days.