Callander

Bill Brady

R P Brady known as 'Bill' taught geography during my years at Cowley (1952-7) an d was generally a good natured chap, but was prone to the occasional bout of bad temper. one incident is particular I'm unlikely to ever forget. In my second year, RPB was in charge of sport, during which  a chap  called Ally Gledhill was alleged to have lost a cricket ball. Bill flew into a rage and knocked poor Ally to the ground and kicked him. The sort of thing, nowadays,  would have resulted in  a jail sentence.   AJB

I was at Cowley 1953 to 1960, so must have been a year behind you Callander. I remember 1953 when we had just started playing rugby and for some reason Bill Brady was teaching us the game on the big field next to where the Hard Lane estate was being developed. I can't recall why, but he hit and knocked down a young 11 year-old. The men building the houses next door saw it all and threatened him with a good hiding at which point he took us all back into school

It wasn't the last time I saw Bill  Brady assault a student. He was our form master when I was in the second year. One of my classmates, a chap called Anthony Naylor known as 'Ninny' was merely leaning back on his chair when Brady attempted to throw his keys at him which failed  miserably, so he charged at him and knocked him to the ground. We all looked on, ashen faced.

that was common at Parr central ! the teachers there were for the most part sadists , they used to love torturing us "inmates "  in many ways !!

• Haha (+1) 1