Sign in to follow this  
kizzy

DNA testing

Just heard about this and thought I'd help spread the news. 

An article published in the British Medical Journal (paywall) last week warns against relying on health inferences from home DNA tests. following is a BMJ podcast and a BBC article  on the same subject. Just in case you are thinking of doing this test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50069155?ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter&ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social

Yep, the DNA of all participants is taken out until they give consent to the new TOS. Nothing was hidden from the users. You can even opt about whether or not to allow 'law enforcement' to look at results.

https://www.gedmatch.com/curt_msg.htm

I read about that last time I tried to get on gedmatch. I couldn't figure out how to opt in but I'm happy for my results to be available to police/legal agencies (I'll do it soon)

Except they are not paying you for your data, you are paying them. like as if it was set up just for that reason in the get go.

Gedmatch is free unless you want Teir 1 apps which are not necessary.

Ah yes, so it is - I'd forgotten. I uploaded my dna results from Ancestry for free. I could never quite figure out how to use the Gedmatch site very well so didn't bother with it much

• Like (+1) 1

I found it very confusing at first Kizzy, but a few help links  made things a bit clearer. I still have a lot to learn.

I eventually plucked up the courage to try out some of the free apps .

It was through gedmatch that a relative of my maternal grandmother's got in touch with me. I had heard my gran talking about his family name but knew nothing about that side of the family. We have had some great conversations and shared photos of relatives we have in common.

I have found the One-to-Many DNA Comparison tool, and the One-to-One Autosomal DNA Comparison tool the most useful. This tutorial is quite useful   https://whoareyoumadeof.com/blog/2019/12/27/gedmatch-tutorial-for-beginners/

• Like (+1) 1

Phoebe I meant through paying for your tests 

Imagine if they said right everyone we need you to give us your DNA, free,  for the efficient capture of criminals, even though it has not been proven 100% reliable and even though some rogue authority can use it in the future to either fit you up,charge you more for your life insurance, health insurance  or make you into a pariah class. You would never agree right. But you gladly give it to them through another platform that is freely provided to you for your gratification and help, out of the goodness of their little hearts.

https://www.corbettreport.com/dna-shaming-welcome-to-orwells-nightmare/

https://notjustsheepandrugby.blogspot.com/2018/11/academics-pan-melrose-based-dna-business.html

• Like (+1) 1

Some good points which raise many issues, Ratty. 

The world has become a very complicated place to live in.I get the feeling our present government are considering selling patient records to the US.

Computers and digital information are amazing technologies,  but I have always thought they have a huge downside. Pretty much like everything in life. Ying and Yang.

• Like (+1) 1

The government gave records to google :nonono: But people are becoming aware and there are campaigns arising to take back control of our own data

• Like (+1) 1

The thing about Gedmatch (or any of the other sites) is that they only show you who you are matching with. Granted, on some they show the matching patterns within those matching chromosomes, but they don't lay out your entire genome for anyone to inspect. 

It is only a matter of time before they can access both the whole data and that of the opted out also. New terms of service has to be signed they say, as if anyone can make head nor tail of it or even has the time to read and decode the reams of gobbledegook before signing their life away.

I put a small section of my tree on familysearch years back  when they first launched the facility, they enticed you in with all the cool formations of a tree chart you could print off but then I found out hat I had just signed away any right to that information and that they now owned it and could do whatever they wanted with it. Well I went straight there and edited every record with expletives and raving rubbish that could never be made sense of. They are absolutely welcome to it. At least Ancestry give the choice of privatising your work and that is the only place I have any info now. (apart from the old genes reunited tree of my mothers)

• Like (+1) 1

Familysearch is "operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), and is closely connected with the Family History Department of said church." I have often found their information to be inaccurate. 

I'd guess that if people are sabotaging knowledge and history then inaccuracies will occur more often.

• Like (+1) 1

This might be worse.

FamilySearch is likely.no worse.than any other genealogy charting application.  Its contributors are.almost all amateur family historians just like most of us are on Ancestry and elsewhere.  I've seen plenty of inaccurate public trees on Ancestry.com.

• Like (+1) 4

I'd still recommend the DNA route for people who want to verify/solidify the paper-trail research. Otherwise you really don't know much for sure. Until I did it I was very sceptical about its benefits and I'd look at all the discouraging articles, finding excuses for not participating, but when you do positively verify some of your various surmised lines and the theories it can be quite exhilarating. You've got the proof to back it up. Experience and observations also show that it isn't really for the faint-hearted though, because it can lead to some nasty shocks and potentially alter the perception of your identity.

• Like (+1) 1

I wasn't complaining about FamilySearch. I have used them in the past. Just a word of warning really. I agree with you,MH,  there are many inaccuracies on people's personal trees. I have found family photos of mine on trees in the US which I know don't belong there because they have the wrong partners. I sometimes wonder if it is better to keep a tree private but then you miss out on a lot. Ancestry have introduced a tagging system which I think works quite well. It enables an indication as to whether information on a person's profile is accurate or just a guess, amongst other choices.

I agree with Dave, I have found it well worth doing, that includes one or two interesting revelations. I find it can be addictive. It's like trying to complete a jigsaw, except there isn't really a finishing point. You can do as much or little as you want.

Facebook have been doing that with photos for ages. Remember that game not long ago where people had to put up a photo of themselves 10 years ago and one now? Folks are so gullible, they give it away at the drop of  hat then freak out when they think they've been so called facebook hacked.

Not saying DNA can't help with tracing cousins and proving lines, as long as other members have actually tested and put it online, but don't be lulled into false security thinking your info is safe or these companies are safe or in any way long term, what happens to your data then?