Alan

Rivington Road Primary School 1940s

Something I heard recently brought back a strange memory. Because the word "Lavatory" was considered a bit coarse to our slightly posh female teacher, the word "Toilet" hadn't caught on yet and we little ones wouldn't understand words like WC or conveniences, the teacher used to refer to the lavatories as the "Offices".

If you put your hand up and asked to go, she used to ask you if you needed paper or not, ie did you need to crap. If the answer was yes, she used to carefully tear off two pieces of that shiny toilet paper for you from a roll she kept on her desk

By 1961, in the Junior School, the loo roll (still the shiny Izal stuff) was kept in the 'Library Cupboard' in the Assembly Hall.  You were allowed to tear off 'no more than 3 pieces'.  The toilets were still in the playground - girls to the left and boys to the right.

Who was the 'posh female teacher', Alan - Mrs Hunter?  When I was there, we had Mrs Hunter, Miss Goodwin, Miss Mills, Mrs Tuntstall, Miss Free and Mrs Turner - besides Miss Staveley.

The name Billington comes to mind, Ollie but I do remember the names Free and Hunter, and of course Miss Stevely

• Like (+1) 1

If she was a 'Miss Billington', maybe she married and I might have known her under another name. 

Oh yes, I forgot, there was also a Mrs Owen - her husband (Mr Owen) was also one of our teachers and their two children went to Rivvy as well.  One of the children (the youngest) around the age of 2 or 3, was allowed to 'sit in class' while her mother was teaching ..................... imagine that happening nowadays :o!

Mrs Hunter lived in Lingholme Road - around No. 144.

Edited by Olliebeak

Ollie, I was trying to remember the correct classification of schools. At Rivvi Road there was an infants section where the kids had a lie down in little beds every afternoon. That was in some white pre-fab type of building. Then there was the school we went to that you refer to as a Junior School that you attended from 6 to 9 years of age. Then we moved on to Knowsley Road for a couple of years until after taking our 11+. Were Rivvi Road and Knowsley Rd Schools both classified as Junior?

Yes, I remember Mrs Hunter. She lived near your house. I think her house was next door to Hansons Milk Depot

Yes - the white prefabs were still there in my day ;)  - Mrs Hunter (1st Year - age 4/5) in the far one and Miss Goodwin (2nd Year - age 5/6) in the near one - with a corridor joining the two rooms with toilets and a small staff room.  The Senior Girls Annexe Building was facing them across the tiny playground.  We didn't get a 'lie-down' when I was there, but we were encouraged to sit quietly, forearms on table with our heads resting down on them for around 20mins - to give Mrs Hunter 'chance to mark handwriting attempts' ;) - but most of us DID doze off :sleep_1:.  For 3rd Year Infants (age 6/7), we had to go into the Main Building - and that class was Miss Mills in the corridor closest to Rivington Road.  Eventually, Mrs Owen had the corresponding classroom in the other corridor for an extra 3rd Year Infant Class.

The 6 classrooms around the Assembly Hall, were all the Junior School - one class each for Year 1 (age 7/8) and Year 2 (age 8/9), and two classes each for Year 3 (age 9/10) and Year 4 (age 10/11).

By the 50's, nobody got 'moved to Knowsley Road' (well, not unless they got taken out of the school by parents or expelled).  Knowsley Road School was a completely different, and separate, school in its own right.  The first time we normally had any contact with kids from there was after the 11+ when we all went to our different Senior Schools.  Did you know anybody surnamed Beesley (from 115 Harris Street) when you were at Knowsley Road - they had two older sons - James (went to Rivvy Seniors) and John (I think) who went to Cowley.

Mrs Hunter lived at 140 - the dairy house was 130 (with the dairy yard next to the entry) - I've just checked on Google Maps ;).  My Nan's friend (Mrs Cooper) lived at 122 on the other side of the entry.  The lovely lady who made beautiful cakes, and sold them from her front parlour shop, was at 134.  Two very tiny, modern semi-detached houses now stand where the dairy yard used to be.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes. I remember the Beesleys very well. The dad had two curly-coated retrievers and he was a cycling enthusiast. John Beesley attended Knowsley Road school and Cowley and we were close friends throughout. He now lives in Knowsley Road close to where Saints ground used to be and prior to that lived at the town end of Lingholm Road. We still correspond every year

• Like (+1) 1

Spent just one year in the prefab hut thing with Mrs Hunter, because when I would've been going into the second year infants there the whole primary school moved to Tennis Street North. They told us that the new school had cost nearly a quarter of a million pounds! Mrs Hunter took the opportunity to retire that year, Miss Goodwin retiring the year after - replaced by Mrs Case.

Mrs Hunter told us that we all needed 'wash bags' (you'll remember those - a flannel and some soap). I told mum and she muttered (jokingly, I found out later) "tell her to bugger off". So the next day I walked to the front of the class and I said loudly "Me mum said bugger off." Mrs Hunter quickly left the room and we could hear her and Miss Goodwin laughing their heads off in the connecting corridor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Hi Dave - I remember hearing that Rivington School (in Tennis Street North) had its own 'built-in swimming pool' - but don't know if that was just a rumour.  Can you shed any light on the subject?

7 minutes ago, Olliebeak said:

Hi Dave - I remember hearing that Rivington School (in Tennis Street North) had its own 'built-in swimming pool' - but don't know if that was just a rumour.  Can you shed any light on the subject?

What year are you thinking of Ollie?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Olliebeak said:

I remember hearing that Rivington School (in Tennis Street North) had its own 'built-in swimming pool

Not while I was there Ollie. Left in 1969.

• Like (+1) 1

It was just something that we heard around the time that it was built - so around 65 or so.

Remember the small wooden sandpit you could play in and the green cots for an afternoon kip. Somehow I always seem to remember it being warm, not the physical atmosphere but somehow you had a feeling of it being warm and secure.

• Like (+1) 1

:D 

I hated every minute of school except the day we left.

• Like (+1) 3

On 24/10/2018 at 13:15, Alan said:

Yes. I remember the Beesleys very well. The dad had two curly-coated retrievers and he was a cycling enthusiast. John Beesley attended Knowsley Road school and Cowley and we were close friends throughout. He now lives in Knowsley Road close to where Saints ground used to be and prior to that lived at the town end of Lingholm Road. We still correspond every year

I know that his younger brother (Harry) died in a car crash back in 72 - which really had a bad effect on me at the time.  I'd known him all my life - our mum's had put us in the same playpen while they chatted over a cuppa.  He was the first of my 'contemporaries' to die - I think that's when you realise that your own generation is NOT going to be around for ever :teary:.  Could you please ask John about his younger sister (Elizabeth) for me please - I've not seen her since I left Lingholme Road - my maiden name was Lilian Thompson.  Thank you.

I wonder if I am related as well?

I do not have any details of my Dad's side of the family.

On 24/10/2018 at 13:03, Olliebeak said:

Yes - the white prefabs were still there in my day ;)  - Mrs Hunter (1st Year - age 4/5) in the far one and Miss Goodwin (2nd Year - age 5/6) in the near one - with a corridor joining the two rooms with toilets and a small staff room.  The Senior Girls Annexe Building was facing them across the tiny playground.  We didn't get a 'lie-down' when I was there, but we were encouraged to sit quietly, forearms on table with our heads resting down on them for around 20mins - to give Mrs Hunter 'chance to mark handwriting attempts' ;) - but most of us DID doze off :sleep_1:.  For 3rd Year Infants (age 6/7), we had to go into the Main Building - and that class was Miss Mills in the corridor closest to Rivington Road.  Eventually, Mrs Owen had the corresponding classroom in the other corridor for an extra 3rd Year Infant Class.

The 6 classrooms around the Assembly Hall, were all the Junior School - one class each for Year 1 (age 7/8) and Year 2 (age 8/9), and two classes each for Year 3 (age 9/10) and Year 4 (age 10/11).

By the 50's, nobody got 'moved to Knowsley Road' (well, not unless they got taken out of the school by parents or expelled).  Knowsley Road School was a completely different, and separate, school in its own right.  The first time we normally had any contact with kids from there was after the 11+ when we all went to our different Senior Schools.  Did you know anybody surnamed Beesley (from 115 Harris Street) when you were at Knowsley Road - they had two older sons - James (went to Rivvy Seniors) and John (I think) who went to Cowley.

Mrs Hunter lived at 140 - the dairy house was 130 (with the dairy yard next to the entry) - I've just checked on Google Maps ;).  My Nan's friend (Mrs Cooper) lived at 122 on the other side of the entry.  The lovely lady who made beautiful cakes, and sold them from her front parlour shop, was at 134.  Two very tiny, modern semi-detached houses now stand where the dairy yard used to be.

I remember the Beesley family; Jimmy and I were chums and we both used to sing in St. Mary's (Keswick Rd) choir. I used to deliver papers for a newsagent in Harris St.

I did prev mention i knew John B.

because my grandparents lived in pigot st,i attended cowley had links with st thomas cubs, ymca scouts and going on train to saints matches! with lads from cowley.I spotted Alans notes and got his book.I was also at cowley school with a lad called eric waring and graham ball. Jeff taggart,Mike osborne(chemists shop)So though we did move away i still spent quite a lot of time 40s and 50s around the whole rivvi rd cos of gparents and followed saints, area.So along with John B there must be others who amongst my many contacts are still around.Memory fades but is jolted by these threads though!!

Yes - it does jog the memory; it's over fifty years since I lived in St. Helens but I still have a cousin there and a school pal I keep in touch with.

On 08/01/2019 at 17:02, John D Slater said:

I remember the Beesley family; Jimmy and I were chums and we both used to sing in St. Mary's (Keswick Rd) choir. I used to deliver papers for a newsagent in Harris St.

Would that have been Pickavance's newsagent, John?

It could well have been Ollie; coming from the Boundary Road end I seem to remember the shop being on the left hand side. I used to live in Fenton Street.

• Like (+1) 1

New to this although have interacted intermittently on other threads. Was at Cowley Boys 1959-1966. Have nothing but warm memories about kids and most of staff with exception of Clifton who despised me and which I thoroughly reciprocated. From Albion Street. Used to walk up past Lingnolme Road and pick up Eric Glynn -big on chemistry. Played rugby with Rog Atherton, Barry Swift, Ron Barrett, Smaje, Fred Howard, Alan Dolan  Horton, Gullick and many others. I will never forget them or the school. Contemporaries at Girls School we’re Sue and jean Hughes, Zeta Evans, Isabel Murray, Janet Murray, Sue Leyland (sister of Martin) Susan Lightfoot and many more (apologies for not naming). What are you all doing now? Hope it was a good journey.