Robbob2010

St.Helens town is coming down

I was told by a reliable source (not a councillor) that the reason part of town is being demolished and rebuilt is because Asbestos was found in the building materials.

I don't know exactly but he wouldn't lie to me and say that has he has a job with the .......,my lips are sealed. :wicked:

It could be,ceiling or floor cavity,Lagging,Sprayed coatings on ceilings,walls and beams/columns.

Asbestos insulating board.

Floortiles,textiles and composites.

Textured coatings.

Asbestos cement products.

Roofing felt.

44612119201_9b02a5e6be_c.jpgChurch St by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 1

Well ROBBOB.People will be happy? cos theyre doing asbestos they can in the circumstances. Perhaps if they said theyd found it in the GROUND,THE WHOLE TOWN COULD BE REBUILT. 

I am sure the Council will do ASBESTOS they can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

<<< Groans >>>

When i was with my mrs, a few years ago Helena sent someone round to test the artext on the ceilings for Asbestos.

A woman came round and taken samples..gloves on, from the kitchen,under the stairs,bedrooms and bathroom.Just a little scrape.

We had a letter beforhand saying they was calling out.

I asked her why and she said it's to sample what's in it.

Anyway i can't remember what happened but it must of been okay.

You know what Nsso i read about something to do with bunsen burners on the news with what your on about the other day.

When we was kids in the early 80's we used to climb on garages as kids do in Carnegie Cresent Sutton and it did us no harm 😷🤭😱

Asbestos is perfectly safe unless it gets disturb and releases small particles into the air.

• Thanks (+1) 1

All's i remember it was warm and furry..the asbestos roofing i mean 😊

I remember when they were doing a bit of a 're-launch' of a little old Co-op store in Burtonwood. As a part of it they wanted the asbestos roof painted with bitumen. It was many years full of debris (bird-shit, etc) and before we could paint it, somebody had the daft idea to clean it off with scrapers and wire brushes. I was just reading that that sort of asbestos isn't bad because 'the dangerous fibres of the substance are kept firmly in place by the cement'. Setting to work it was like a snow storm up there. That coupled with it being the same week when Chernobyl went off, I'm wondering why I'm still here.

We had lead pipes, turners asbestos pipes, concrete pipes, polythene pipes, alkathene pipes. which is or was worse for us or the environment..

People are still becoming ill and dying because of Asbestos related exposure. A lot of people who worked in the maritime sector became ill because they used to line ships pipework with it. It affected factory workers in the same way.  Electricians and tech installers from the 1970's/80's are also becoming increasingly ill due to them having to puncture walls and climb through loft spaces.

More people will eventually die from asbestos related conditions from that enormous debris cloud than who actually died in the twin towers.

On 11/09/2018 at 22:38, HORT said:

Asbestos is perfectly safe unless it gets disturb and releases small particles into the air.

Or it's old and decaying

A little-known fact...2 thirds of St Helens Schools are riddled with asbestos.

https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/news/revealed-which-st-helens-schools-contain-asbestos-1-8490947

Big jeff.I was in our local store and noticed a lady in asking to see the manager. She had a set of papers in regards to asbestos checks certification.Wonder how  any pre ises she was visiting!

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

I heard it was the area occupied by B and M that is being demolished.

On 18 September 2018 at 13:05, icehead said:

I heard it was the area occupied by B and M that is being demolished.

Is this the same shopping mall that our skint Labour Council recently shelled out 20 odd million quid to buy ?

Have they bought a pig in a poke ?

Or,

Have they pulled a master stroke like the guy who owned the Twin Towers and the rest of the World Trade Centre.

The Twin Towers were in need of a refurb costing mega bucks, and, they contained asbestos or  arsebestus in local lingo.

Fortunately, he had insured the complex for mega millions, making sure to take out extra cover should the buildings be struck by aircraft crashing into them or terrorist attack.

Purely coincidentally, along comes 9/11. The asbestos riddled towers were gone, huge insurance payout, problem solved.

Have our Council laid some sort of plans along these lines ?

Will the evil Tory Government pick up the bill, is there an insurance company somewhere thinking OH SHIT! , or will the council tax payers get clobbered ?

2 hours ago, Hangonamo said:

Will the evil Tory Government pick up the bill, is there an insurance company somewhere thinking OH SHIT! , or will the council tax payers get clobbered ?

Only time will tell.

Did Labour do the residents any favour with their demolition of the old houses in the 60s and 70s and creating housing estates?

Then we have the Housing Associations!

It would be interedting to see what %  of housing in the borough is-

1 owned by housing associations.

2 private ownership not rented

3  private rented

4 empty.

It was in response to an evil Tory gov comment. The asbestos response has already been made.You dont just need asbestos to demolish a whole area!just A FEW OLD BRICKS.

Perhaps they should demolish properties where cannabis farms found!or fine the landlords?or absent owners.?could put more into council coffers.