I recently moved back to st.helens after 17 years away and while it’s good to be back so much has changed, and not all for the better.

One of the most noticeable and things that are bothering me most is the amount of rubbish and fly tipping in and around ravenhead road/elm road and ravenhead greenway.

My youngest and myself love exploring and the greenway is a nice place to walk but the amount of rubbish that’s dumped and empty beer cans is ridiculous.

i was also a bit shocked at how pilks lake/Alexandra business park has been let go as I spent so many days out here with my Nan when the glass museum was situated here and loved it.

I'm looking forward to taking him to all the places my Nan used to take me when I was younger such as the chantry in Sthelens cemetery, crank caverns, carmill damm etc

Also does anyone know if the rock/quarry garden in Taylor park will ever be opened again?

4 hours ago, Angelfire666 said:

so much has changed, and not all for the better.

My mum used to say that all the time !  Thanks for reminding me of her 

Your welcome, it’s something my Nan always used to say to me and I guess it’s kind of stuck with me 😊

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Angelfire666 said:

I'm looking forward to taking him to all the places my Nan used to take me when I was younger such as the chantry in Sthelens cemetery, crank caverns, carmill damm etc

The best time to visit the Chantry is Sunday afternoon.

There are volunteers there who know all the history and will tell you all you may need to know and more besides.

Ned is the EXPERT on its history and who is buried there,  for example 30 Bishops - more than anywhere else in the country.

I will be there tomorrow - I might see you there.

Edited by HORT

I’d love to find out more about it I spent so many times there with my Nan we’d eat are buttys and tidy round some of the graves then go and visit my grandads grave.

i can’t make this Sunday but I’ll definitely go down next Sunday 

I seem to recall there being a big well in the cemetery itself too ?

my Nan used to walk me for miles when I was younger around Sthelens, crank, billing, clinkham wood so I’m trying to take my kids to all the places I used to go through the summer holidays instead of them sitting in front of a tv screen ☺️

I go every Sunday and my daughter is one of the volunteers.

lots of unknown graves have been uncovered.

Here is an article in St Helens Star this week about it.

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/16377307.people-invited-to-adopt-a-grave-at-windleshaw-chantry/?ref=rss

And this is a topic on this website about and has loads of pictures and information. Just click and see.

As for the well it is St Thomas's Well and an Ancient site of pilgrimage, but that was not in the Chantry grounds but a short distance away in St Helens cemetry.

The council in its wisdom filled in some years ago.

Cheers Hort for the mention ;)

Hiya @Angelfire666 you want to go to the photo forum as there's plenty of topics but go to the topic 'Around St.Helens'

It may open your eyes how things have changed.