Sign in to follow this  
non sibi sed omnibus

st.helens -dirty old town no more

Looking at the 150 yrs of the Borough.

Chemical works, lead works,coal mines,glass furnaces ,brewery.smelly beechams.

In view of the issues these have had on the health of orevious generations.

Should we welcome the logistic companies and service industries,entertainment and linked businesses to the Borough and not keep harping on THE PAST? 

you are absolutely right. I grew up outside pilks top works and my mam couldn't hang any washing out on the line because it all got covered in black sooty spots,the smog in the town was like pea soup and it stank.

I used to monitor the emissions from Cowley Hill Works. Both inside the factory and at the weather station in Victoria Park.

This was in the late 1960s and we had levels to abide by.

Nat Birch was the Council Environmental Officer at the time and lived close to the Park weather station. He lived in the lodge inside the Park at junction of Rutland Street and City Road.

Coincidence there HORT. My first proper job was at Polycell in Penketh in 1963 and one of my jobs was to monitor the air quality inside and outside the factory. I also had to measure the particulates in the waste-water just before the point where it exited into the Mersey

Good job neither of you had trained with Volkswagon etc?They had levels to work to?.Still i did like the views from tech college windows as pilks chimneys spewed out agreed levels of crap?.At least eventually Alan we did clean up the mersey so fish could survive. Any agreed level of allowed crap doesnt help residents. Its like cleaning bleaches ads say KILLS 99% germs.Not saying that the 1% left are DEADLY ! Its all in the recognised pollutants and levels.

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

Logistics aren't the answer. Apart from the fact that they only ever want to rip up the green belt to build them, they take up huge quantities of land for minimal low paid employment. Even this low level of employment will reduce rapidly as technology removes the need for warehouse workers.

a fair answer cos industries that are heavily labour intensive are losing out to techs.

thats why places like china and usa used this type of employment with thousands employed. Even looking at old pilks fotos of workers leaving work.

these are now suoerceded by tech jobs and ok logistics. However if purchases are made this way now we have transport jobs. 

But its people like you and me dont bother when we order our items online!So maybe we are hypocrites!