Robbob2010

At Carr Mill Dam

Posted (edited)

Looks like it was the base for one of the Fairground Rides that used to be along there - Boat Swings perhaps?  There's an old photo showing that part of the Fairground taken from out on the water ........................ wonder if it can be identified using that, Robbob?

Just had a look at that old photo, but it's not clear enough to be able to identify very much at all 😩

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Could it be from the old Miniature Train that used to be there? (Spent many a happy hour on there)

On the link below with photo, (Coincidentally, uploaded by you Olliebeak), it says this.

"Description  Some of the track way can still be seen at the side of the Dam."

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s167.photobucket.com/user/olliebeak/media/Carr Mill Photos/CarrMillTrain.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8&ref=1

Edited by Phyll

Posted (edited)
On 06/07/2018 at 05:05, Phyll said:

Could it be from the old Miniature Train that used to be there? (Spent many a happy hour on there)

On the link below with photo, (Coincidentally, uploaded by you Olliebeak), it says this.

"Description  Some of the track way can still be seen at the side of the Dam."

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s167.photobucket.com/user/olliebeak/media/Carr Mill Photos/CarrMillTrain.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8&ref=1

Looks like it was the base for one of the Fairground Rides that used to be along there - Boat Swings perhaps?  There's an old photo showing that part of the Fairground taken from out on the water ........................ wonder if it can be identified using that, Robbob?

Fresh Edit - The 'track way' that I referred to in that post were along the 'Martindale Road side' of the Dam - not actually rails, as such, but the sunken track bed showing where the train used to run - wish I'd photographed it, at that time.  There was also the remains of an old turnstile/fence that the train used to pass through as it went into the wooded area.

Not been up there for a log time - a visit is long-overdue, methinks 😉 !

added 7 minutes later

In another photo - the one of two ladies sitting at a small table at the side of the Dam - there's a 'slipway' for launching boats onto the water - wonder if it could have been a rail leading onto the slipway :idea_1:

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 1

That looks like a girder not a piece of track. As far as I can remember the track went down the side of the dam,not round the corner.

the train ran down the side.as there was as far as i remember no facility at either end for the engine be uncoupled etc it  just reversed back up track.  

Ollie, I think it did run on rails from memory.

My brother in law used to drive the loco and I will ask him.

Posted (edited)

It DID run on rails but, for part of the way at least, the track was slightly 'sunken' below the level of the ground either side of it :thumb: .  You're right, non sibi sed omnibus  - it didn't 'uncouple'; at its furthest point, the track went around in a loop through the trees - not far from where the 'original boathouse' had been.  There's a photo on here of 'Carr Mill Railway Station', but I don't actually remember seeing it looking like that :dunno:  - we always got on it close to the Roller Skating Rink and Paddling Pool.  

Somebody has commented that the piece of wall on the right hand side is part of the Roller Rink, but I don't think you'd see the Helter Skelter that close if that were the case.  Sunno - maybe time is clouding my memory :( .

CarrMillDam2.png

Edited by Olliebeak

If memory serves me correctly, the position the photo was taken looking up to the road, one of the entrances to the old fair ground used to be there. And where the rail is situated by the slope, is a spot where a Fort used to stand. This fort was built at an odd angle so as to give the impression that the floors listed as you made your way through it's passages. The actual ramp that is evident in the photo, was used the put Row Boats into and out of the water.  

The Boat Swings, Roller Rink etc, were situated close to were the current Waterside Restaurant is and part of the very same building is where the Club Cat's Whiskers used to stand. Where the current Waterside Bar is situated, there used to be a long building with a number of lock-ups that were used to keep safe the many items which were used for hire - Rowing Boat Oars, Peddle cycles and a Motorised train which ran on wheels not tracks. etc. There was also a Helter-Skelter on it's roof, so would be visible from the main roads.  

The actual train which did run on tracks left from a makeshift boarding station around the end of the current Waterside Restaurant, it then ran through the woods past a turn style running parallel to Carmill Road.  It then terminated at a point between Kirkstone Avenue and Carmill Primary School and returned via the same route.

I was fortunate to have lived at Clinkhamwood between 1952 - 1968 and lucky enough to have experienced the delights of Carmill Fair - It was a magical time!!

I hope I have gone a small way to explain the history of the memories of what these photo's mean.

Kind regards

Ron H

• Like (+1) 1

I remember going fishing,and trying to bunk lnto the fairground near the turnstile.

Robbob 

looking at your picture of the bit of metal at carr mill dam mate ! did you ever go to the bottom of Park road and see the Old canal bank  ( in between the sankey Brook and  the Traffic lights )? That's a real bit of History mate 

PS 

Shame about Pete mate I really liked that Guy