Sign in to follow this  
the olden days

Guernsey Evacuees

Does anyone remember the Le Cheminant family who lived at 34 Cowley Hill Lane during the War.  Thelma was in the WAAF, Violet worked at P{ilkingtons City Road, Barbara at a Shoe Shop, Freddy was at Rivington Road School, and so was the youngest Jennifer.  The one I am in touch with still is Sylvia who will be 86 on 15th June two days before me.  Barbara, Sylvia and Jennifer were in the Saxon Troupe with me and we entertained at various schools and Church Halls all through the War.

I first visited them in Guernsey the year after they returned with a friend Margaret Smith who was 15 and I was 14 and 1 month in 1946.  I fell in love with the Channel Islands then and still think of it as m,y dream place to live.  

Jennifer lives in Australia and Sylvia is still alive and living at L'Erre in Guernsey.  Their Dad didn't escape as they evacuated women and children and were overrun by Germans before they could join their families.  He was still alive although they had no news of this for about 3 days after the end of the War.  Citizens /Advice got lists each day of known survivors.

J

J

I may be right, I may be wrong, but I think the Saxon Troupe have been mentioned on this site before.

Yes I put it on a few years ago with copies of photos of us acrobating on the back of Ball's coal lorry which we used to tour the town on walking days etc.  Enid Ball was our best acrobat so her Dad drove us round (no Health and Safety in those days thank goodness)