Sign in to follow this  
Robertb

Bradley Family

I am trying to trace the Bradley family. They left St Helens in 1927 for Australia. Frank Bradley, Annie Bradley(Boardman) and their two sons Herbert and Francis.

Frank Bradley was born on 8th October 1886 at Platts Bridge, Whiston. His father Isaac Bradley married Sarah Smith on 12th April 1886 at St Thomas Eccleston.

Their address was listed as 136 Liverpool Rd. Isaac Bradleys' father was listed as soldier with no first name given. Sarah Smiths father was Thomas Smith, a miner.

Any help in sourcing further information would be appreciated

For starteres the Bradley family left the UK on 23 Apr 1927  out of Liverpool bound for Melbourne. Frank is 40 a miner, Ann is 41 a housewife, Herbert is 14 and Francis 11. Last  address in England : 52 Knoll Beck Road, Wombwell, Yorkshire.

Are you looking for info prior to 1927 or after ?

Looking to go back further. Can trace Isaac Bradley, Franks father, to his birth in 1862. Beyond that is difficult as his father was listed, surname only. There was a suggestion that Isaac was adopted.

OK - I have Isaac on 1871 Census living Queen Street Preston with sibling Daniel.  Isaac's birth reg Q1 1863 Manchester - mother's maiden name Carr. Daniel reg Q1 1856 Lancaster again mother's maiden name Carr. Dates don't tally exactly with what is on 1871 Census although place of birth does. Assuming that Jane Barnes is mother of Isaac then his parents were a male Bradbury & Jane Carr. A possibility is the marriage between Thomas Bradley & Jane Carr reg 1857 Garstang Preston. Checking on 1861 Census living at 39 Rose Entry, Wigan is a Thomas Bradley boarder married aged 38 miner b Lancaster, Jane Carr transcribed as Caret married  aged 30 spinner in factory b Lancaster and amongst others Daniel Bradley nephew to head of house aged 4 b Lancaster and William Bradley nephew aged  1 b Preston. Birth of this William reg Q2 1860 Preston - mother's maiden name Carr

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for your assistance.

I can see that Jane Carr may have remarried Thomas Barnes as both Isaac and Daniel are living with them.

Could explain then why Isaac did not know his fathers name on the wedding certificate. 

Publication1.jpg

@Robertb...my name is Robert Bradley.

Some call me Rob,Bobby & Bob...plus plenty of other names :lol:

Edited by Robbob2010
  • Like (+1) 1

I think you are on the right track. Here is the marriage of Jane Bradley nee Carr to George Barnes, notice her address Queen Street  and her occupation which can be followed through the censuses

(His is Peel Hall Street in case you can't read it)

The marriage for Jane Carr and a Thomas Bradley is 1857 at Garstang register office or registrar attended and there is an entry of burial for a Thomas Bradley at St Mary Lancaster for 12/3/1866

There are three boys births registered to mother named Car in the relevant areas, Daniel 1856 Lancaster Isaac 1863 Manchester and William 1860 Preston and one girl, Catherine 1858 Preston., there are many more though in surrounding areas, popular names.

bradley.jpg

added 3 minutes later

Have been following a strange set of censuses that I can't make head nor tail of for the same family names, one of them is a Peter Bradley who is a professor of music (age14?) and it states he has been blind since birth. I can't seem to fit any records to the children and can't understand who the real parents are yet, probably need some sleep.

added 4 minutes later

Just to add, don't bother with the Ancestry trees for this family, they are duds and don't add up

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, RATTY said:

I think you are on the right track. Here is the marriage of Jane Bradley nee Carr to George Barnes, notice her address Queen Street  and her occupation which can be followed through the censuses

(His is Peel Hall Street in case you can't read it)

The marriage for Jane Carr and a Thomas Bradley is 1857 at Garstang register office or registrar attended and there is an entry of burial for a Thomas Bradley at St Mary Lancaster for 12/3/1866

There are three boys births registered to mother named Car in the relevant areas, Daniel 1856 Lancaster Isaac 1863 Manchester and William 1860 Preston and one girl, Catherine 1858 Preston., there are many more though in surrounding areas, popular names.

bradley.jpg

added 3 minutes later

Have been following a strange set of censuses that I can't make head nor tail of for the same family names, one of them is a Peter Bradley who is a professor of music (age14?) and it states he has been blind since birth. I can't seem to fit any records to the children and can't understand who the real parents are yet, probably need some sleep.

added 4 minutes later

Just to add, don't bother with the Ancestry trees for this family, they are duds and don't add up

added 19 minutes later

Ratty,

Thank you for your support in researching the family.

A cousin of my fathers , I think christian name Jean, surname Farrimond,  lived at 216A Boundary Rd, St Helens. There was also a cousin Alice in St Helens but not sure of her address.

I am not sure if their connection to the family is through my grandfather or grandmother.

Both are now deceased.