HORT

egging again and policeB

He could of at least offered to clean their windscreens.

But seriously you are right begging is becoming ridiculous now around the town, I'm all for supporting the homeless and vulnerable but the majority of these beggars have homes or are just after drugs and alcohol. 

Until the police start doing something about it, it will only get worse.

20 minutes ago, Mcluvin said:

He could of at least offered to clean their windscreens.

But seriously you are right begging is becoming ridiculous now around the town, I'm all for supporting the homeless and vulnerable but the majority of these beggars have homes or are just after drugs and alcohol. 

Until the police start doing something about it, it will only get worse.

There was one notorious beggar a few years ago,he lived in the YMCA and spent all day trying to extract money from people,his favourite target was women using cashpoints, he was very aggressive in his manner and must have really frightened some of these women. I had come across him years earlier when due to circumstances, I found myself in the YMCA,on this particular day I was at the cashpoint in Earlestown and heard a noise behind me, I looked around and it was him, the look on his face was a picture, I was the last person he wanted to see! He disappeared pretty sharpish after that, I don't mind helping anyone who is down on their luck, I've had tough times, but had good friends to help me get back on my feet, this particular guy however, spent all his money on drink and gambling, and I know for a fact that he was asked to leave the YMCA as he owed so many residents money that there was frequent bouts of violence towards him. In the end he was given a court order banning him from begging or hanging around in certain places.

The only "nice" beggar I ever met in our town was Austin, aka, johnny wellyman, most people knew him and he never hassled anyone, in fact he'd rather you gave him a brew than cash, I've not seen him in ages, hopefully he's doing ok though.

Johnny Wellyman has caused trouble Phil.

I have seen it and so have others.

Saw him not long ago, looking a bit more bedraggled than usual but seemed ok

added 0 minutes later
1 hour ago, Mcluvin said:

Evidence?

Go take a walk round the town centre and McDonald's drive through they all do shifts i have even seen them change over.

When i used  to go to birmingham for meetings there used to be a bedraggled eastern european woman and a little boy  sitting just outside the station concourse.

Then one day saw a prog about street begging on tv.

It mentioned about beggars being shipped in etc.

One section showed this setup and the lady and boy were seen being dropped of from a beautiful car and waving the driver off.

Re the man sitting near parish church he is homeless and sleeps in sherdley park.

Others are known to have bedsits etc that are springing upmaround town.

17 hours ago, HORT said:

Johnny Wellyman has caused trouble Phil.

I have seen it and so have others.

Never knew that, he always seemed so quiet and inoffensive when I saw him, still, you learn something every day.

Posted (edited)

When my wife had her florists shop in the town centre, he caused trouble at the shop with both my wife and her daughter on more than one occasion.

I also saw him in a screaming and shouting and bawling incident in Ormskirk Street with a woman and her husband about 6 or seven years ago. The guy obviously did not know who Wellyman was or his problems and ended up threatening to hit him.

I think there is other information somewhere in this site about other things Wellyman  has been involved in. It may not be his fault but he does upset some people from time to time.

Edited by HORT

9 hours ago, HORT said:

When my wife had her florists shop in the town centre, he caused trouble at the shop with both my wife and her daughter on more than one occasion.

I also saw him in a screaming and shouting and bawling incident in Ormskirk Street with a woman and her husband about 6 or seven years ago. The guy obviously did not know who Wellyman was or his problems and ended up threatening to hit him.

I think there is other information somewhere in this site about other things Wellyman  has been involved in. It may not be his fault but he does upset some people from time to time.

Where was your florists shop? wasn't near the charcoal grill was it?

No it was in Hall Street