Taylor park paddling pool.

Bishbash

1 hour ago, stephen nulty said:

I lost my Popeye figure in there circa 1966 

Still traumatised :-(

gutted ! sure I stood on it  that very same year whilst paddling that summer!..at least we won the world cup and rugby league challenge cup that year tho! 

added 1 minute later
5 hours ago, Robbob2010 said:

Nice one..it's dreamy.

Cheers. ..i nearly  fell into a dream whilst drawing it because took that long to do !

• Like (+1) 1

That paddling pool holds a lot of memories for me. In the early 1950s, it was rumoured to be a source of germs that caused infantile paralysis (later called poliomyelitis). It had just about recovered its reputation from that nonsensical scare when it became repeatedly targeted by vandals who broke pop bottles and threw them into it creating a few high profile injury cases amongst small children.

Anyone know why and when it was finally abandoned? Another question that comes to mind all these years later is: how was it fed with water?

we almost grew up in the park , in there everyday as kids growing up.. even used to "Ruff it" there with our sleeping bags, no tent!.. end of every summer it was emptied and drained  and cleaned out and all that and then filled back up by the fireman with hoses extended fron prescot road if i remeber right ..

• 2 years later...

My yatch's keel kept running aground. Very disappointing. Then I learnt about jetex engines. Anybody remember them? You could power toy aeroplanes, cars and in my case home made balsa wood speed boats. Old men sitting round the paddling pool were very impressed.

• 6 months later...

This triggers memories of my early childhood in the 1950's when I used to be taken from London back to visit my grandparents in Grosvenor Road, near the park entrance. I remember the paddling pool so well!

My parents outlawed that pool in the 1940s as it was blamed for the spread of Infantile Paralysis (Polio as we know it today)

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Bishbash ...... That picture could have been me and my yacht Endeavour lll, my dad used to take me to sail it.  Strange how toys of yesteryear simply disappeared without you even noticing, memories of them hitting you in later years as you ponder what happened to them, why they disappeared ?  As a family Taylor Park was often a day out beginning with a bus ride from Boundary Rd to 'Toll-bar', ( because there had been a toll-gate there.  Always ice-cream from the still there long building by the big lake and hide and seek in the bushes.  Not surprised to hear it was a health hazard, still, shallow water like that had to be dodgy 😳 

Living in France now but my heart firmly linked to a wonderful childhood in St Helens, I made a point recently to stroll through Taylor Park soaking in the memories, only to find the paddling pool grassed over and occupied by an army of grey squirrels.     I suppose it was inevitable but at least it’s outline was still visible as I saw my lovely daddy watching over me as always. 

• Like (+1) 1

I always thought there was a Water Inlet from the Lake into the Paddling Pool.  There was DEFINITELY something that looked like a 'Sluice Gate', along that Top Path. 

There was also another 'Sluice' at the other end of the Lake, where water could be released through a channel - down towards the grassy area near the Swings - and into the 'Bottom Dam' ie Leg o Mutton.

Bert, bit stuck here as I can not really remember the estate.  Up past cowley girls school down past vikky park turn right and along for about a hundred yards and the estate was on the other side of the road, I know he had a couple of brothers, one called Eli not sure of the other one, Ted himself would be approx 76 ish. Believe he worked as a window cleaner. Believe he is living somewhere around the Lingholme or was a few years ago.

13 hours ago, woodsman said:

I can not really remember the estate.  Up past cowley girls school down past vikky park turn right and along for about a hundred yards and the estate was on the other side of the road,

Windlehurst?

added 47 minutes later

Back to Geoff Fletcher. His dad owned the pig farm on Holme Road and we referred to his dad as Piggy Fletcher.

A memory that this conversation has just stirred was attending Saints games in the 1970s when I used to drive there from Cumbria. Outside the Ground at the Eddington Stand and running parallel to Knowsley Road was strip of unmade road that was popular for parking (I think it was an extension of Holme Road). Anyway, old Piggy Fletcher used to prowl up and down it with an old leather shoulder-bag collecting "parking fees" from those motorists naive enough to believe that it was an official car-park.

Geoff Fletcher was quite a character and played for Saints, Liverpool City/Huyton and then coached Runcorn, Runcorn/St Helens and Prescot Panthers. Last time I spoke to him was about 10 years ago and he had a shop somewhere near Marshalls Cross