Sign in to follow this  
Red 45

Tonks/Johnson Prescot

Am hoping someone can help me please, trying to track down some details of Nellie Tonks, born 1891 to Charles Henry Tonks and Mary Jane (nee Atherton) in Prescot.  Married William Johnson in October 1912 and died 7th February 1919 aged just 27, 6 weeks after giving birth.

If anyone has access to Ancestry's death documents, is it possible to find out what caused her death please, and any other details that may be on the death cert.  

This would mean alot to a family member who is a direct descendant and has no idea how she died.

Would also love any photos of Nellie you may be able to find.

Thank you in advance, would really appreciate any detail no matter how small.

Hello Red

I'm afraid the only way you will get information about why someone died is through the official death certificate which you can order from the local registrar, here is the form for your person

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/pda.php?date=1919&county=lancashire&reference=SH%3ASH%2F198%2F94&file=./cgi/lancashire/deaths/1919/J&pos=30537&area=SH&surname_1=JOHNSON&forename_1=Nellie&year=1919&age=-

But I would check the address to send it to is correct as I think they recently moved into the Town Hall. Also enclose a stamped adressed envelope for return.

Afraid this will cost you £10 although if you make an account at the General Register Office online here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

..you can search the index there and get a copy of the certificate to download as a PDF for £6.00 at the moment.

Photos is not something I can help with. If you post another topic in the Connections/Contacts section someone may have known her and oblige one day.

Thanks Ratty, i thought as much but was just hoping.  Did they have death certs in those days? Thanks for taking the time to reply! 

Hi Red 45, yes is the answer as it became a legal requirement to issue a death Cert in England and Wales in 1837.

Brilliant, thank you so much!!!  Not sure to approach Prescot or St Helens offices though as I am sure she is listed as dying in Prescot yet lived in St Helens?

Wow thank you! Havent seen this before, and this is precious as it contains their signatures!!  Thank you so much! 

HI Yes I have that picture, and  I have been to the grave recently and taken new photos,  sadly it is very overgrown now and difficult to find.  There have been additions to the headstone now too. Don't know how to add pics on here. 

Here is her father, Charles Henry Tonks :D

Charles Henry Tonks

And Charles with his wife Mary Jane - fantastic portrait image.

charlesandmary

Wow again, had seen the one of Charles with his chickens, but not the portrait picture.  I am the double of Mary Jane, she is my great grandmother!  What a fantastic piccture! Thank you! 

added 3 minutes later

Am guessing you are a member of ancestry - is there any clue  as to Nellies cause of death? or photos of Nellie herself?

Sorry no, it looks like you will need to go down to the office to obtain a copy of the Death Cert, let us know how you get on and the actual cause :thumb:

Will do but will be a few weeks before i can get round to it, but am eager to find out! Thanks for your help! x