Sign in to follow this  
hollibobs

Barrow Family

Hello, I am new to the forum and hope someone can help me. 

I am trying to find any information I can regarding James Barrow, born 1872 in Eccleston, Prescot.  He lived with his family according to the 1891 census (which is the last census I can find for him) in Liverpool Street.  At one point his parents George and Catherine Barrow were licensees of the New Inn public house.  I know he moved from the area around 1901, but cannot find him on 1901 or 1911 census. He married in 1903 and the information on his marriage certificate of May 1903 states he was working at the Fairhaven Hotel in Fylde, Lancashire then in August of  that year Ardwick, Manchester. I have details of his military service between 1914 and 1918.  Can anyone tell me what happened to him between 1903 and 1914? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are only 2 on the 1911 census one in Billinge and one born Cadishead, both are miners I think, obviously not yours.

Got him on the 1891.  Its the name is the problem, mistranscribed a lot.  Barron, Bavvon. Barrost.. so try every possible variation and search for everyone on that census separately because he may turn up with them along the line. 

In 1901 Catherine is a widow at  29 Liverpool street with sons George Joseph William Walter. They are correctly there as Barrow.

George wasn't found in 1911 using this under Barrow. William is at 16 Drake St St Helens a gas stoker married to Lily, daughter Dorothy. George wasn't found either. There is a Catherine Barrow age 64 a widow nursing children but she says shes born Liverpool not Ireland. The address  42 ?Harrowly Street Manchester. She is a boarder, the only other person is the head Mary Settree 32 cotton spinner born Manchester

Sorry can't help much more than that. You need to scour that 1911 census using all possibilities for the name but it would take hours

Who did James marry?

• Like (+1) 1

Ratty,

Thanks for your reply.  I have managed to find that George Barrow died 1894 and Catherine in 1902. I know what you mean about the names, I too have found them as Baron, Bavon and Barrow mainly by searching just with their birth dates and St Helens as their birthplace. I will have a look at exploring other variations of the name as you have suggested.  James married Mary Ann Coulton in May 1903 at Old Fylde Register office. They already had a daughter born 1901 (Amy) and then in August 1903 had Doris Agnes who left with her father in 1903/4 and was later adopted, sometime between 1903 and 1911 by James' sister Teresa. Mary Ann went on to set up home with my granddad Arthur Pownall and had four more children. That's about all the information I have at this point.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

I looked and same as Ratty found 1891 only. FMP suggest two wife possibilities but having just seen your last post its marriage finder is obviously wrong as it suggests Mary Ann Coulton married William Capstick and J.ames Barrow married May Caine.

What was address listed when he signed up to narrow field down a bit,  and have you found Mary in 1901, if so is worth just looking at the census pages close bye to see if he was living close by. As adoptions were not formal in those days you will probably not be able to pinpoint a date, I had the same with my gt grandfather, his name was just changed between one census and the next.

Hi,

This may help - according to GRO there is a birth for a Doris Agnes Barrow Q3 1903 Chorlton - mother's maiden name Coulton.

1911 Census has Doris Barrow - adopted aged 7 living at 41 Duncan Street, St Helens. Unable to find the parents of Doris - died ?

I would be interested to look at service record of James Barrow as I have not been able to locate it.

John

added 31 minutes later

Having just read your earlier reply Arthur Pownall and wife Mary Ann are living at 19 Wilding Street, Barton Eccles  with Amy Barrow 9 step daughter.

• Like (+1) 2

John,

On James' service record the only given is one in Ancoats, Manchester which he plans to go to in 1917 when leaving the military. I haven't been able to find any information when I have tried to look at that address.  His service record was extremely difficult to locate. I found it on findmypast.

I think I have found Service Record on FMP. Despite a few discrepancies I think this is your man. James Baker attested 7 Sept 1914 to St Helens Bn of South Lancashire Regiment, age given as 32 years 9 months, occupation Sawyer, next of kin daughter Amy Mary Barrow of 2 Eldon Street, St Helens.  Posted to France 5 Nov 1915, transferred to Kings Liverpool Regiment 3 April 1917 and then transferred to First Labour Bn 29 Apr 1917.Demobilised 28 April 1919 to 111 Corporation Street, St Helens.

James arrived back in England from France with a broken left forearm caused by being thrown from a waggon  21 Feb 1916. He was treated in Fazackerly Hospital Liverpool

Family details: Married Mary Ann Coulton 31 Dec 1903 Kirkham., child Doris.

John

• Like (+1) 1

Hi John,

Yes, that's the one.  As you said apart from a few minor discrepancies everything fits. Just got to find out what happened to him before he joined up!