Sign in to follow this  
philip hewitt

Hewitt family

Can't really be certain sure this far back without extensive research but I came across a will for a Joshua Hewitt Watchmaker married to Lydia with sons Thomas  and Joseph and Lydia mentioned in the will, Probate was 1802
Then I found the following which all could well  be  your Joshua  

Working by his birth, I found a likely Joshua Hewitt  marriage to Ann Rimmer LanOpc  10 Aug 1788 St Luke Farnworth 
Joshua Hewitt - (X), Watchmaker, Farnworth near Prescot
Ann Rimmer - (X), Spinster, Farnworth near Prescot
    Witness: Peter Shaw; John Starkey
    Married by Banns by: Thomas Moss Minister

We have his death 1839 Prescot which states abode Eccleston

So I looked for possible parents and came across these:

Marriage: 3 Oct 1757 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Joshua Hewitt - Eccleston
Jane Brookfield - (X), Eccleston
    Witness: Peter Denton; Wm Banester
    Married by Licence by: A Gwyn Vicar
    Register: Marriages 1754 - 1801, Page 13, Entry 43
    Source: LDS Film 1657584 item 9
Perhaps his first wife 

As you will see  the marriage below he was then widowed This  Joshua  was  a watchmaker of Eccleston and could be the father of yours so I looked up all children of the first marriage to Jane :
1758 Catherine
1759 John
1761 Ellen
1761 James
1762 Paul
1764 Thomas (mentioned in the will?)
1770 Joseph (mentioned in the will?)
1772 Mary
1773 Ann
As you can see there is a gap, Is this were your Joshua should be?  if so why was he not mentioned in the will instead of Joseph?

(?2nd marriage, the wife that is mentioned in the will?)
Marriage: 11 Jun 1783 St Luke (formerly St Wilfrid), Farnworth (Widnes), Lancashire, England
Joshua Hewitt - Widower, Farnworth near Prescot
Lydia Ashcroft - (X), Spinster, Farnworth near Prescot
    Witness: John Tyrer; Peter Shaw
    Married by Banns by: Thomas Moss Minister
    Register: Marriages 1781 - 1812, Page 12, Entry 804
    Source: LDS Film 1655235 item 4

This information gives me a possible birth year for Joshua(Jane/Lydia)  of C1737 
then I looked for that baptism

These baptisms on LanOpc
Baptism: 30 Mar 1729 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Joshua Hewitt - Son of John Hewitt & Mary
    Abode: Prescott
    Register: Baptisms 1727 - 1765, Page 5, Entry 15
    Source: LDS Film 1657583

Baptism: 18 Jul 1731 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Joshua Hewit - Son of John Hewit & Mary
    Register: Baptisms 1727 - 1765, Page 13, Entry 1
    Source: LDS Film 1657583

This looks like they had a son called Josh who died and they named the next son the same, as is customary, sure enough I found it

Burial: 25 Nov 1730 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Joshua Hewit - Son of John Hewit & Mary

This second Josh works with dates as it means he would have been 16 at first marriage to Jane and 52 at 2nd marriage to Lydia.

I'm not saying this is all true and proven, I have no clue, there are other Hewitt families in this area but they don't have baptisms that come close to your Joshua. You need to figure out why your 1769 Joshua wasn't baptised or why it's not turning up in the records, look for the original records and the bishops transcripts to see if you can spot it, it may be too unclear but at least you may see some clue. If definitely clear he isn't there you can start a new search. It is strange he wasn't mentioned in that will though, being between the two children who are He does mention "other young children" but not by name.

Anyway this is the tree as it looks with the above info -

John Hewit B? Prescot Labourer married Mary ? C1729

|
son Joshua Hewitt  Watchmaker B 1731 marries  Jane Brookfield 1757 Prescot St Mary then  Lydia Ashcroft 1783 at St Luke Farnworth, he dies 1802

|
their possible child Joshua Hewitt Watchmaker  B C1769 marries  Ann Rimmer 1788 at St Luke Farnworth
He died 1839 buried at Prescot St Mary

Thank you so much. I know a bit of this and really can tie up a few things. I know the Joshua b1769 is on the grave stone of Joshua senior. also marked on stone is Lydia Hewitt  wife of Joshua senior. I have a photo of it I just wanted to confirm this, you know what it is like to go on the wrong line.

Phil Hewitt, great x3 grandson of Joshua 1769-1839

• Like (+1) 1

Oh yes I do! Some of those trees on Ancestry leave a lot to be desired, dont trust them.

And this lot gave me goggle eyes so I hope I got it all down correctly, please check it all out for yourself

I have checked the tree and feel it is at least 95% certain that it is true that Joshua 1731 was the others Joshua's father. I have a probate for juniors will executor was John Hewitt. Best wishes Phil

According family Search Joshua 1731-1802 was the father of the other Joshua 1769-1839. the son was a watchmaker and ended up as a publican. Thank you for all the help

• Like (+1) 1

RATTY & PH, only just seen this search..if you look under heading 'Prescot Photographs' sub-heading 'Lyons Bakery' dated Sept.5th 2013 on this site you will find a photograph of a watch manufactured by Joshua Hewitt, the case is hallmarked 1773. He is listed in G.H.Baillie's 'Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World' vol 1, 'HEWITT, Joshua, Prescot, d. 1802. Invented a pinion cutting engine'.

added 6 minutes later
On 12/11/2017 at 16:44, philip hewitt said:

According family Search Joshua 1731-1802 

See above..

added 17 minutes later
On 06/11/2017 at 00:20, RATTY said:

Watchmaker

Edited by gervassutti
  • Like (+1) 1