The New WHERE'S THIS then? Thread!

Big_Jeff_Leo

Alan ,the very old post office was situated nex to parish church on a corner facing hall st .the old post offuce was in bridge st.

That one in Church Street is the only one I remember as I effectively left St Helens in 1960 (3 years at Uni in Sheffield and then soon after married and moved to Billinge before coming north in 1971)

• Like (+1) 1

When the old GPO closed down the new one was at the bottom of Bridge St. on the same side as the Savoy cinema. That one closed down (maybe 2/3 years ago) with a new much small one somewhere in the Market area near the old Parish Church. Have never used it - not much need for PO these days

• Like (+1) 1

xYrzDSd.jpg

Wasn't that where the old "Army & Navy Store" was?  I once had a Duffle Coat from there, loved it.

Or was it later called "Famous Army Stores"?

As in this photo...

hallstreet1.jpg

And here's the original Old Post Office on Church St.

span>50 YEARS AGO THIS WEEK (22nd - 28th FEBRUARY 1971)</span>

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The old post office pic.

The row of shops just starting.There was one of those today style poundie shops there.

My boss at time used to go to st.davids church Carr mill.He was going on a church outing to bpool. He'd bragged that he got a cheap camera from it.

All was set as he took pics.One click and back shot off.

Still the same crap these days.

Wonder if there are any more longer pics of that side of church st?.

There are plenty of the opp side going around. Not any on the gpo side

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

You got there in the end Dexter. So despite your years your eyesight is perfect.

The photo below shows it in relation to the tower and the dome.

vKtGDcx.jpg

What I would like to know , and I do not know the answer is this: Who is it a ststue of?

Any regular attender at Lowe House might know and it it would be interesting to find out.

• Like (+1) 1

Some graves up at the local cemetery are a joke. They're like mini mausoleums and must cost a fortune. The most recent one is all white (marble?) and would hold at least 20 bodies and covers the space of about 4 normal sized plots. They appear to belong to the Travelling community and are along the boundary next to the A580. How do they get away with all the rule-breaking?