Suttoner1

Burial Plot search St.Marys Church Graveyard Prescot.

I'm trying to find if the burial plot still exists for my Great Grandfather Albert Job Kirby, died 14th August 1911 aged 30 years, Inscription may read as Albert Kirby the same as his death certificate.

I have found the plot for my other Great Grandfather Thomas Edward Healey on Section 4.

Does anybody know if Sections/plots were allocated all around the same decade, century to a specific section or were the families given a choice ?

Does anybody also know of any contacts that I could get in touch with for tips regarding my search ?

Thanks for your help, time and interests.

Steve Kirby.

Steve

Contact the people at FOPCC via their site. They are working to produce a detailed plan of the marked graves in the old churchyard

http://prescotcemetery.org.uk/

I can tell you that Albert was buried in St Mary's on 19th August 1911

• Like (+1) 1

He his buried in the New Sect I think I have a photo in my files I will have a look for it and post there is also a John Richard buried in the same grave. age 12 mth date 5/9/1912 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks very much Stephen Nulty for your help & link, I had no actual burial date info, just his death certificate, as I checked on Lancashire OLPC as well but no mention of a burial date there, I will look into this further.

Thanks again

Steve Kirby.

added 11 minutes later

Thanks very much Ned, that would be great if he is the right Albert Job Kirby/Albert Kirby, I have no info on baby John Richard in my research, maybe I have missed this birth, another route to go down, his father was John Kirby who died 3 years after Albert, both of them were Water Works Inspectors at the Liverpool Corporation Water Works at Prescot/Eccleston.

That would be great if you could find the photo, at least the New Section gives me an idea where to start looking.

Thanks again

Steve Kirby

I have found these they may be related 12/9/1899 Henry age 10 Mth. 20/7/1912 Ann age 18 Mth. H 28/9/1914. 4/7/1919 James age 81. 11/10/1920 Alfred age 48. and 25/8/1999 Vera age 70. as yet I have not found there burial plots but I am still working on them

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks again Ned,

I will have a look into these names & dates.

Steve Kirby

Thanks Stephen & Ned, I found Albert Job Kirbys Grave, his wife Ellen Kirby (nee Jones) married John Underwood in 1915 after Albert Jobs death in 1911, hence explaining Ellen Underwood on the gravestone, like you say Ned, his son, John Richard is on the grave, who I didn't know about, some of the other Kirby names you mention I think are from a separate Kirby family, as I remember going to school with Kirbys who were not related.

I didn' know about Hilda Underwood either so a good search

I have put the photo's on find a Grave.com

As far as I can make it out, the transcription reads as:

In Loving Memory of
Albert Job Kirby
Died Aug 14th 1911 Aged 30 Years
Also John R Kirby Son of the Above
Died Sept 5th 1912 Aged 1 Year
Also Hilda Underwood
Died Oct 20th 1932 Aged 16 Years
Also John Underwood Father of the Above
Died Jan 30th 1941 Aged 59 Years
Also His Wife Ellen Underwood
Died May 8th 1941 Aged 59 Years

Edited by Suttoner1
forgot a mention of Find a Grave.com & spelling mistakes
  • Like (+1) 1

Apologies for jumping on this thread but the Subj is pretty broad..and I hope someone can help.

My Great Great Uncle William Haselden was buried in St.Mary's on 15 Oct 1895.  His burial record (mis)spelled his surname Hazledon.

Can anyone confirm if his grave has a headstone?  He spent his last month in Whiston Union Workhouse so I suspect he didn't have a headstone..but confirmation would be nice.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

22 hours ago, Mark Haselden said:

Apologies for jumping on this thread but the Subj is pretty broad..and I hope someone can help.

My Great Great Uncle William Haselden was buried in St.Mary's on 15 Oct 1895.  His burial record (mis)spelled his surname Hazledon.

Can anyone confirm if his grave has a headstone?  He spent his last month in Whiston Union Workhouse so I suspect he didn't have a headstone..but confirmation would be nice.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

I have been working on St Mary graveyard for the last few years trying to put the graves and gravestone in some kind of order I have a William (Hayledon) died 15/10/1895 age 27 years Abode Whiston Union as yet I have not found a grave but I will keep looking

• Like (+1) 1

Many thanks, Ned.  William had been a soldier (but not a very good one) in the South Lancs Regt but was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes while serving in Egypt.  He was sent home at the end of May 1894 and medically discharged from the service on 28 Aug 1894.  Presumably he was admitted to the medical ward of Whiston Union Workhouse because there was nowhere else for him to go.  He probably couldn't work and was simply waiting our his time for his incurable medical condition to kill him.

1 hour ago, Mark Haselden said:

Many thanks, Ned.  William had been a soldier (but not a very good one) in the South Lancs Regt but was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes while serving in Egypt.  He was sent home at the end of May 1894 and medically discharged from the service on 28 Aug 1894.  Presumably he was admitted to the medical ward of Whiston Union Workhouse because there was nowhere else for him to go.  He probably couldn't work and was simply waiting our his time for his incurable medical condition to kill him.

Do you know his Mother and fathers name was he married if so what was his wife's name I may be able to find some info on them

13 minutes ago, Ned said:

Do you know his Mother and fathers name was he married if so what was his wife's name I may be able to find some info on them

Hi Ned,

William's parents were John Haselden (b 1841, d 1890) and Elizabeth Spencer (b 1842, d 1883).  They lived at 40 Morley Street, St.Helens.  William wasn't married. As far as I know, the only connection with Prescot is because William was in the Workhouse.  

His Mum's death left his Dad to care for the remaining 8 kids (the eldest had died in 1879), the youngest being just a year old.  When his Dad died, the family split up, some going to older siblings and some to their maternal Grandmother.

William joined up in 1888 and was overseas when his Dad died.

Kind regards,

Mark

So sad, all for the want of simple medication

• Like (+1) 1

Simple nowadays but back then we were barely out of leeches and bleedings as cures.  His Army medical record shows they tried all sorts of "treatments" including diet, tonics, arsenic and opium!

On 3/8/2018 at 11:15, Ned said:

I have been working on St Mary graveyard for the last few years trying to put the graves and gravestone in some kind of order I have a William (Hayledon) died 15/10/1895 age 27 years Abode Whiston Union as yet I have not found a grave but I will keep looking

Hi Ned,

Re-reading the thread, I realised I had not explicitly confirmed that William Hayledon and William Haselden are the same person (although the inference was strong).  I suspect his surname was mis-spelled as Hazledon and that the "z" was, in turn, perhaps mis-transcribed as a "y".  

The Lancashire Online Parish Clerks lists William Hazledon, aged 27, buried 15 Oct 1895 and the online image of this record could be misinterpreted as Hayledon.  However, I'm better than 99 percent convinced this is my relative.

Cheers,

Mark