I am interested in looking for Littler's Field on any old maps (1860-80).

I believe Mrs Littler's field was up by the Cockleshell Cottage on Rainford Road, or is it St Helens Road going out to Rainford?

There are houses on it now but I believe it was used long ago as a place to play rugby (and no doubt other sports too.

Anyone help me with this please.

Mrs Littler's Field mentioned in Wigan Observer 15 June 1877 but of little help - merely says Dentons Green

Was it formerly Parish Church Field?

That's behind the cottage

In the early 1950s, there were two fields behind the cottage. The larger one on the Rainford side was the Parish Church Field. On the town side of that field was another smaller field that was just left uncut and untended. It was separated from the Parish Church field by a concrete panelled wall

I've been told the it was 'The Parish Church Field' and perhaps it was. How it became known as 'Mrs Littler's Field' is what is interesting to me. I know that it was supposed to be where the very early rugby was played, before the foundation of any club. i would like to see an old map as it might tell us about a Littler's farm or such. No maps available at the moment while the Library is closed.

Perhaps I can advertise Pauline Hurst's talk on The Gamble Legacy to be given Thursday night in the Town Hall 6.45-7pm.

These old families were involved with not only the Volunteer Battalions, but also the formation of rugby clubs.

I don't think that it was called Rainford Road in those decades - just generally labelled 'Dentons Green' and as far as census enumerators where concerned, the houses weren't numbered and we can't be sure of any order once the returns had been transcribed into the book. There was a Mrs Littler who lived up there - a widow called Catherine Littler and in 1861 she was aged 40, with daughter's Ann (13), Jane, Elizabeth and Ellen, along with two housekeepers, a niece and two boarders. Her occupation was a Victualler and you'd think that it might be one of the pubs, but there's no name/label for it*. If she was there in 1871 then I haven't found her yet. It looks as though it may be the same person in 1881, but aged 62 and not 60 like you'd expect, but with widowed daughter Ann (Webster) who would be the right age (33). This time Catherine was a provision Dealer. It looks as though it's more towards that end of that road - seeing what was before and what came after. It's all just tenuous speculation based on a name though.

(* a Thomas Littler had the Abbey Hotel in 1851)

@Dave Catherine Littler is there in 1871 too and this time listed as farmer and publican and in 1861 Mary Speakman  was the next listing at Windle House which i think is probably Windle Grange by 1871 Mary Speakman is living with her nephew John Hammill, farmer of 60 acres., big Dentons Green names

just noticed the Websters are next door to the Hammills

added 19 minutes later

Catherine Littler is buried with the Websters at Windleshaw Chantry

Edited by Tony J
addition
  • Like (+1) 1

According to the maps, Windle House (opp. Abbey pub) and Windle Grange (on the left of Rainford rd opp. school) are/were separate places.

Well spotted Plonker, i had it in my head that the one opposite the Abbey was called Windleshaw House.

@PRV There seem to be almost annual accounts in the Liverpool Mercury of field days in the 1880's and 90's of both the parish church and Lowe House/Holy Cross.

One article you will find interesting is in the Liverpool Mercury  8 Sep 1884 when inspection of the 21st LRV should have taken place there but due to heavy rain it took place at the Volunteer hall instead

added 32 minutes later
On 7/19/2017 at 6:47 PM, HORT said:

Here is the 1849 OS map.

Zoom in to see the area. The cottage is not there then, unless its Windle Grange

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126522299

added 3 minutes later

Here is the 1906 map, its not threre either.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126522302

Its there on both maps to the left of BM 128.2 in 1908 map and below it in the other one.

Tony, I can see 128.2, but how do you know its Littler's Field - its not marked as that?

Sorry Hort, I thought you were talking about Cockleshell Cottage. I was wondering about tithe maps, Cheshire are online and searchable free but not Lancashire, also Mrs Littler would probably only have become so in 1840's so not likely to appear under that name, has anyone got a subscription to any old maps sites?

There are some free maps on

this is one of them Yates 1786. It has roads marked but not named.

You can see many roads that are still there.

Click the link, then click on the map "+" and then scroll up, down, or left, right.

Its Brill 1786

d2.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for looking and for the maps. I have all of the census records and believe that Mrs Littler's field was by Cockleshell Cottage. Sometimes on these maps the names given are on the opposite side of the road to where the actual buildings are. 

The 1894 O.S. map shows Littler's court at the junction of Feet lane and Derbyshire hill rd.

That must be what I'm recalling