Sign in to follow this  
Robbob2010

23 Bridge St

How much do you miss them?

I miss their meat & potato pies and pasties.

Pimmies off Jackson St are alright but they'll never be the same.

Photos removed in Photobucket fiasco

Edited by Dave
to add note
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Robbob DEFIANCE .Even though its a ciggie place I did hear thst POOLES PIES WIGAN!had tried IN VAIN to try a take over of the shop below before it became a ciggie shop!So watch out joe90!Even also defiant against the USA!Subway next door.Not even a war of  independence for them to take over it.All we need is for one of  those poshie FRENCHIES with their PRET A MANGER also to be defeated in trying to set up.Then we can again say GREAT BRITISH PIMMIES!!!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Anyone remember Samuel Mercer,s pies?,a stones throw from Jackson St .They were opposite the Queens Arms in Fingerpost ,on the next block and same side as Dingsdales bike shop.

12 hours ago, knockaloe said:

Anyone remember Samuel Mercer,s pies?,a stones throw from Jackson St .They were opposite the Queens Arms in Fingerpost ,on the next block and same side as Dingsdales bike shop.

My mum used to work there in the Bake house she left when the Quality of the Ingredients started going down ( thats what she told me ! the old owner died or summat )  she moved to Pimblets new shop in Fingerpost 

My mother in law worked at mercers for a short spell in the sixties, she said a guy in a filthy vest with a cig in his mouth used to be in the back mixing the ingredients for the pies.

I wonder which of these Mercers were involved in pie making? It's only so I can try to trace them back to see if there's any connection with the ones in my tree.

There was a Mercer's pie shop on the same road as Helena house, opposite side, on a corner, it later became a Pimbletts. I loved their pies and their potato cakes. I remember working one time with a lad from out of town, Mercers had long gone by then and Pimbletts was the pie shop. Well we got him into their pies and he loved them, anytime we were working in St Helens he'd offer to go to a Pimbletts and get the dinners, one time we were working in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, around lunchtime Ray appeared and asked what we where doing about lunch, "would you like me to nip to Pimbletts?" he asked. we all cracked up laughing, he thought their pies were so good they must have been a national firm, like Greggs. We worked together at various jobs around the country, and every once in a while someone would say, "Hey Ray, do you fancy running to Pimmies for dinner?".