vinty

Rag and Bone men

It is difficult these days to get rid of scrap metal,not long age we had regular visits from men with an old van knocking at the door asking if you had any old scrap metal you wanted to get rid of and they seemed grateful for the opportunity to take it away, nowadays no one seems to do it. Is it because scrap metal has dropped in value or because of the regulations introduced requiring that they have to be registered?

No problem here in brum - you only have to put any scrap on the driveway and it's gone in no time at all. Three or four vans touring the area every day.

Last week my daughter had to pay someone to take away an old trampoline (aluminium struts and frame) whereas years ago when we got rid of an old caravan we were paid a few hundred quid in scrap value because it was aluminium. How times change!

think the big big prob is scrap cant be sold and cash transactions at dealers.It was done mainly to curb the theives who go for cabling etc.  

I gave a friend of mine who did some lead-work for us the scrap lead so he could get it weighed in at the local scrap dealer. They sent him back to get a letter of authorisation from me before they'd accept it

I fit a lot of kitchens and bathrooms from which i get quite a bit of scrap which I save up to the end of the year then weigh it in, no cash changes hands, you have to give your bank details and the money is paid into your account, i believe it's the norm now at every scrap dealers.

when we used to put waterconnections into new houses with the new fangled copper pipe as it was then in the 70s.we charged from the stoptap to the internal stoptap as a standard then auditors for the council wanted to know what we did with the bits left over!Todds steels used to have a search policy when it was found people  were tying little bags round their waists to carry out turnings and off cuts.

We also found a scrap dealer had hidden an old  street lighting lamppost when his lorry went over the weighbridge.Oh happy theiving times then!

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus
typos

no problems here in clinky wood,leave anything on drive an local gypos av it away in a flash.

• Like (+1) 2

My apologies if this in the wrong place on this forum but this tale was told to me 40 and more years ago. A monumental fiddle was going on in a coalyard"somewhere in St Helens" .Probably in the late 50,s a certain coal lorry  was fitted out with a 40 gallon oil drum underneath the chassis and before entrance to the coalyard was filled with water.Having arrived and weighed in at the coalyard the water was duly discharged out of sight leaving the lorry with an added capacity for an extra 3  1 cwt bags of coal . Hardly worthy of comparison to the Brinksmat Heist I admit but surely a feat of working class ingenuity ?.

recently passed the rail works near wigan station where there has been numerous thefts of lineside cable.I wonder from firemans sam life.Cant imagine in tbe days of steam,the stealing of coal!Can you imagine the scene of a rotund cop chasing myladdie lugging a sack of coal!

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

I was a fireman at Sutton oak shed st Helens and certain drivers stopped in places and told me to shovel and fair amount of coal off the engine.

I remember quite a few times in the 50,s and 60,s travelling along Elephant Lane when suddenly a man would dart across from Radley St into Dorothy St pushing a bike with a bag of coal slung under the crossbar .The source of coal being the clayhole belonging to Roughdales Brickworks, this would happen anytime after dusk.About this time I was living in Nutgrove,my Granny used to by her coal from Cheetham,s (an unfortunate name for any businessman I know). He used an ex Army Bedford  lorry painted maroon,and later on when we moved to Newtown he put all our furniture on the coal wagon and flitted us down to Exeter St .I think coal was about 10 shillings a bag in those days so these freelance coal miners must have got about half that. How many pints for a bag of coal in the Elephant later on ?.They would be well deserved!.