Sign in to follow this  
Dig

Motor bike shops

Can you remember Tom Collins motor bike shop

And Geoff Duke's

tried to remember collins location.hartleys remember and fingsdales was i believe cyvles.the had one shop fingetpodt and one fuke st.they also had a workshop at fingerpost.on  of the named had a shop nesr morrisons boundary road area.Peter st is also in memory poss hartleys.

Tom Collins had two bike shops, not one. If I remember correctly, the bigger one was on or close to Boundary Road, and the other a couple of streets away. They sold used spares at that one.

Was Dingsdales one the other side of the road, close to the Huntsman pub?

Dingsdales also had a shop up near the Ram's Head in Haydock. Bill Pope also had a motorbike shop (converted mission hall) on West End road just down from the Huntsman.

All the above sounds right,I remember when Tom Collins closed down loads of bikers come down to buy spares,

Tommy Collins must have made a fortune on motor bike spares , every time I rang for a price it was always much dearer when I got to the shop, not only was there VAT to pay there was also TAT to pay, tommy's added tax.

what was the shop on a corner in brynn st.he sold parts etc etc.He even sold those little sachets of was it windscreen wash that came FREE with motor magazines.was it a collins one?it seemed to be a ragbag of items.Including those plastic bottles of distilled wster to top up your battery.I'm going back some years poss into the late 60s early 70s?

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus
added bits

A C Collins.

Geoff Dukes came after Ham Burrills

There was also a motor bike shop near where Asda is now  can't remember the name but remember he lived in Oxford St ,I bought a load of spares from him after he shut the shop ,my hobby was restoring old British Bikes so they were like gold to me.he had a one off Italian racing bike that did well at the IOMan which I tried to buy but he wouldn't sell.

48 minutes ago, vinty said:

There was also a motor bike shop near where Asda is now

ISTR 'Hartleys' ?

Thanks  Dave l Couldn't remember the name .

Looking back, NSSO had mentioned it. It was either in Kirkland or Peter Street.

9 hours ago, john b said:

A C Collins.

One of the first shops to open Sunday,also sold lawn mowers.

9 hours ago, john b said:

A C Collins.

2 hours ago, non sibi sed omnibus said:

Not  forgetting Geoff Dukes shop in Greenfield Road!!!!!!

Sibi, see post #2 above.

mum bought her first cycle from warings in westfield st .near beechams.also had shop in duke st.near middle mill st. 

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus
addedvbit more

NSSO, Old Collins didn't come across as a del boy character, he was more like an old brandy swilling cigar smoking etonian, looking back he looked a bit like Winston Churchill, he also drove a coffee coloured bently.

If anyone deserves a statue in the town for their achievements then it must be Geoff Duke.

10 hours ago, Big_Jeff_Leo said:

If anyone deserves a statue in the town for their achievements then it must be Geoff Duke.

I would agree with that.

There was another St Helens rider, Bob Smith. From what I saw of his riding, he would have been up there with Geoff Duke had he not died at Scarborough.