Sign in to follow this  
HORT

St Helens' Cattle Market.

Today, I was told that there used to be a Cattle Market near Burkhill's Cafe.

It was on Carr Mill Road between Woodlands Road and the East Lancs.

There was a petrol station there later and a shoe shop.

The guy who told me is younger than me and he remembers it.

I cannot, so does anyone have any information such as what was its official name?

When did it close & etc.

Icant give definitive but as a youngster going to carrmill pleasure land.We used to walk allround that area.even venturing into the motobike world of burkhills cafe.you could see the various cattleruns(rails) to allow them to be loaded.All the rear can also be seen from the railway as you pass.So would have been shut late 40s upto 50s?

They must be getting their wires crossed, there used to be a pig farm on the land at the side of the motor auction just before the bridge, that was in the late sixties to early seventies, i think horses are kept there now.

The pig farm area is still there, it may have horses on it now,

This farm you refer to may have been owned by someone called Moncrief.

The Cattle Market, so I am told, is where the petrol station and shoe shop was between Woodlands Road and the East Lancs. On the RHS as you approach the East Lancs.

Another person has confirmed to me that was a cattle market.

The pig farm belonged to Sedon it now belongs to Bob Burkill and where the Garage and shoe warehouse is but no longer in use was Terry Lennon's Car sales before that it was a railway siding where the cattle , sheep, ect where unloaded ready to take to town for slaughter

Hort might I surgess you have a look at some of the online old map they are very a useful tool most off the time !

Do the moncrief's live in that bungalow opposite st pauls church on chain lane, didn't they own all the land that the laffak estate is built on.

the daughter and son ( Billy) of Mr. Moncrief was living in that bungalow she used to have horses and often rode them around Sankey valley past our house , Billy died a while ago and I have not seen his daughter for some time, whether she still lives there I couldn't say, I think the land that they farmed was rented. we used to get our veg from them and pick potatoes sometimes.

I remember her riding her horse up and down the laffak area, I think her son went to my school, wasn't he a very tall lad.

We moved to Carr Mill in Jan 1951 and I remember seeing the farmer driving his cattle along Carr Mill Road to the cattle market. Not sure how long it stayed open, but was certainly there in 1951.

We lived in Newlands Road in the 1950s and 60s and the cattle market was still in use but then became a petrol garage.

On 07/01/2017 at 11:06 PM, non sibi sed omnibus said:

Icant give definitive but as a youngster going to carrmill pleasure land.We used to walk allround that area.even venturing into the motobike world of burkhills cafe.you could see the various cattleruns(rails) to allow them to be loaded.All the rear can also be seen from the railway as you pass.So would have been shut late 40s upto 50s?

On 11/01/2017 at 4:02 PM, eileenec said:

We moved to Carr Mill in Jan 1951 and I remember seeing the farmer driving his cattle along Carr Mill Road to the cattle market. Not sure how long it stayed open, but was certainly there in 1951.

The Cattle market was still open in the late 50s, we used to collect cattle from Moss Bank railway station , just were the Moss Bank Pub is, we used to take them down the east lances to Carr Mill, alternatively they would take them to Jack Forsters Farm at the top of Moss Bank, then take them after a couple of weeks down moss Bank hill to Carr Mill Rd and onto  the Cattle Market.