Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Those damned convicts

We snotter them at Cricket, we hammer them at Olympic sports, we even murder them at Tennis, they can't play soccer and are no worse than us at Kick and Clap. So why are they still the best RL players in the world and have been for more than 40 years?

• Like (+1) 1

They don't hold down at the tackle so the game is played much faster. They are used to a faster game.

I thought New Zealand where the best team for 5 minutes then they got took to the cleaners,i dont think the first try for Australia should have been counted because i dont think New Zealand knocked on,the ball went backwards i thought,but it was men against boys for most of the game.

The standard of the game in this country has dropped alarmingly these past few years. The governing body are buffoons, and the better players we have, all go to the NRL. There's not much to look forward to in my opinion.

If you're a Saints fan, it's another season of "The Grind" and a coach who lies to the fans, regards them as sheep and is unpopular with a significant number.

We sign a player who was twice considered not good enough for a substantial fee, sign up a journeyman hooker, a prop forward who was subject to some rather unsavoury speculation, and give a new two year contract extension to a player who is obviously more focused on his new business venture and media career.

I'm totally hacked off already two months before the season even starts.

I agree about the standard being far lower than in the past. It seems to me that one major reason for this is that there is more money to be had in Rugby Union and NRL so better players are turning their backs on Rugby League

The question to my mind is how to bring more revenue into the sport so we can compete financially and stop better players draining away, and hopefully attract more youngsters into the lower ranks confident of a decent financial future if they make the grade.

Edited by Alan

It is still very popular though Alan there was a crowd of 40,000 at Anfield, I am not sure NZ should have even been there, they beat England by only 1 point & then only drew with Scotland

I have very little confidence that the governing body have the wit or ability to bring more money into the game. The promotion of the 4 Nations tournament was practically non existent, until about a week before it actually started. This is typical of the RL. For as much as I don't rate their game The RFU run rings round us in terms of marketing and media profile.

I've just had to read a double page spread on the weekends Autumn Internationals, while the final of a major international Rl tournament barely got a few column inches.

• Like (+1) 1

I am really puzzled why give and old player like Jon Wilkin a two year deal, Yet a far far better player Sean Long was only offered a one year deal when his contract was up , In the press Wilkin admitted his best playing days were behind so his two year contract beggars belief

I think its time that our game abandons the copycat method of trying to play the australian percentage and attrition style, time to go back to the days when we used to play creative rugby, keeping the ball alive and throwing the ball around.

Our teams may get beaten by the Aussies in this style for a period of time, but at least we will be entertained along the way rather than bored, like we are currently.