Sign in to follow this  
thyme

Eating Scouse

My mother used to make it when I was small and I am ashamed to say I don't know how to make it.

If anyone can tell me the ingredients and how to make it I would be so grateful.

Wife never makes it now. It used to be a Saturday staple but we both went off it

Had it for tea tonight, lots of pepper and red cabbage

I hate that word..it's called Lobbies thumb_yello.gif

Just an abbreviation of LobScouse !

:)

We went to Copenhagen several years ago and visited a restaurant in the Tivoli gardens - Lobscouse was on the menu and looked just like the lobbies my mam used to make. It looked like a favourite there as half the people in the place were scoffing it.

Surprised it didn't have smoked salmon in it plonker :)

I ate a lot of Scouse as child, most of it 'blind'. Maggie May's Restaurant Bar near the top of Bold St serves Scouse all day.

I once went to Copenhagen, great place to visit.

I love Scouse, we used to call it Lobbies. I think we talked about "Scouse" before, "Lobscouse" originated in the Baltics or Norway and various other Northern European seaports.

"Scouse is a type of lamb or beef stew. The word comes from lobscouse, a stew commonly eaten by sailors throughout Northern Europe, which became popular in seaports such as Liverpool."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse_(food)

Can't get that Wiki link to work, but just look up "Scouse (food)" on Wiki for more info.

Edited by Phyll

Thank you to Kizzy for the link to the recipes. I've been out and got the ingredients ( going for lamb not beef ).

Just hope it tastes ok, also bought some red cabbage thanks to Stephen for that hint.