Sign in to follow this  
Tea Time

Heaton Family, Prescot

Does anyone have any information as regards the above family?

All that I know is that they were living in Prescot around the time of the Great War, and possibly one of them was working at the Cable Works.

On the 1911 Census there are no Heaton's actually living in Prescot - majority in St Helens. However there are 10 people named Heaton who are resident at Whiston Workhouse but as they are listed as 'patients' there are no obvious family links between them

There is a Thomas H Heaton (Pawnbrokers Assistant) living at 24 Houghton Street age 36 in 1902, with his wife and son and daughter.

I can add this information:

Marriage: 25th December 1884 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot Lancashire England.

John Heaton - 25 - bachelor of Prescot, Glassmaker

Sarah Ann Thompson - 18 - Spinster of Prescot

Grooms Father - Peter Heaton, Glassmaker.

Brides father - Lawrence Thompson, watchmaker.

Its this information that leads me to believe they lived in Prescot.

This may well be them in 1891 Census

John Heaton Head 31 Glass Labourer b St Helens

Sarah Heaton Wife 24 b St Helens

Eliz Heaton 4 b St Helens

Lambert Heaton 3 b St Helens

Family living Oldfield Street, Windle, Prescot (at that time) now St Helens

They are also on the 1901 Census in St. Helens, with 4 more children, not sure of the address though.

This could be Lambert Heaton, who was aged 3 in 1891.

Marriage 13/4/1913 Lambert HEATON Annie LUND St Thomas, Eccleston.

Edited by Phyll

Address on 1901 Census is 83 Oldfield St, St Helens

Excellent information people..

Not knowing the geography of the area very well, 1) I assume Oldfield Street is not in Prescot. Is that correct? and 2) Where is Eccleston?

Oldfield Street is in St Helens. Postcode is WA10 2SL which you should be able to find on google earth.

Eccleston has changed over the years. At one time part of Eccleston was in Prescot but nowadays it is an area of St Helens

Hope this helps?

This was Oldfield Street, not far from North Road, I think that area was Windle?

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/home/doc.php?showstreet=685

This is where Oldfield Street is now on Google Map, but 83 is not there anymore, it starts at 85.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4601679,-2.7393367,3a,90y,282.77h,87.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQSEEqnBs_SzvxqA8Jq14tA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Prescot was the main Parish, which included Eccleston, Windle, Sutton and Parr, later came under St. Helens.

Eccleston

"Historically a part of Lancashire, the early history of Eccleston is marked by its status as a township, an area much larger than the modern civil parish, extending into what is now St Helens. Part of the township was united with Parr, Sutton and part of Windle to form the Municipal Borough of St Helens in 1868."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccleston,_St_Helens

I don't know if you already have this?

In 1881, John was with his parents Peter and Elizabeth and Brother William and 2 others at 36 Albert Street,

also Windle.

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/home/doc.php?showstreet=01

Do you have this?

Baptism: 26 May 1867 St Thomas, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Sarah Ann Thompson - [Child] of Laurence Thompson & Ann

Born: 31 Mar

Abode: Eccleston

Baptised by: W. A. Mocatta

Register: Baptisms 1866 - 1870, Page 45, Entry 357

Source: LDS Film 1849656

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/index.html

Edited by Phyll

Thanks for that, Phyll. all of it is new to me.

Reading through various areas of the forum has provided other possible information also. For example, I did not know of watch manufacturing in Prescot. I would hazard a guess that the Laurence Thompson mentioned above worked there. Is there any way to check?

Not aware of ant way of proving that Laurence worked in Prescot. Watch making in those days was a cottage industry and many 'Watch Makers' worked from home. However Laurence can be identified on the censuses and illustrates the point about the location of Eccleston. There is a link on the opening page of this website under Local History at the top of the page. The drop down menu includes Street List and you can locate the position of Edward Street where Laurence lived.You can also check census info for Edward Street which shows that in 1881 Edward Street was classed as Eccleton in Prescot whereas in 1891 the exact same address was classified as St Helens