Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Jumble sales

Who remembers these? Usually in a church hall with proceeds going to some or other worthy local cause. Many St Helens families relied on stuff bought from them to dress the entire family. The ones I can remember were held in the old St Mary's mission school-hall in Keswick Road near the Lingholm corner. People would be queuing up an hour before they opened

I suppose that they've been replaced by car-boot sales and thanks to Bangladesh manufacturing, clothes are so cheap now that nobody would ever consider used clothes other than real top-of-the-range stuff

I think the local term for them was Rummage Sales, which seems quite apt as all the stuff was just piled on trestle tables and you had to rummage for what you needed

• Like (+1) 1

I live in Kent and we still have Jumble sales here as well as boot fairs

Yes jumble sales are still up and running. Today we call them Car Boot Sales.

Alan did you ever go to those at st andrews.they used to collect stuff for months then have one big sale.Others used to sell plastic bags for a small price and you could fill it.worst were the old women queued up well beforehand.THEN IT WAS ANYTHING GOES,!

Yes, I remember the St Andrews one too but the earliest ones I remember were at t'other end of the Green