Robbob2010

Bottomless Pit on the Red Rocks,Parr

Does anyone remember some type of hole behind the 'danger-box' as i call it at the bottom of Ashtons Green Drive in Parr?

My neighbour who died recently told me he used to walk around the wall with his friends when they were kids and to think we did that he said it's not worth thinking of.

There was apparently a hole with a wall around it but if you threw anything down the hole you could never hear it land.He told me he remembered trucks dumping oil drums with liquid still in them to fill the hole up but he said it was too deep..well it's filled in with something to bring it to ground level

27565775333_e5c1beeafd_c.jpgHell Hole on the Red Rocks by Robbob 2010, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 3

Always thought it was a sub-station Rob. You've got me thinking now. What do the old maps tell us, was it a shaft belonging to Ashton Green Colliery?

I believe it was a mine shaft Dicky D thats all i know..i wish i would of asked my neighbour more

Someone else told me he remembers it fenced off when he was little around 1973 ish

There are quite a few shafts shown in the Ashton's Green colliery area on the 1847 OS map - I've highlighted them in red on this piece of the map. There could have been later shafts sunk as well as those on the map.

ashtons%20green%201847_zpsdgprqlmu.png

I remember it well, the day is sunk, us lads shot down for a gander. It was just few yards further up than that box on Ashton's Green Drive. I always seemed to wonder why they built that box so close to it.

Edited by Pete

Always thought it was a sub-station Rob. You've got me thinking now. What do the old maps tell us, was it a shaft belonging to Ashton Green Colliery?

You could be right DD - it's got the electrical symbols and 'danger of death' signs on the doors.

With these kinds of buildings ;) its danger of falling sighns we look for wich links it underground, ive sen a few buildings like this with the electrical symbols on, hmmmm

saying that though,

Risk of death could be by falling,..

I remember this well, its was in the late 80s, the hole was about 400yards futher up ashtons green drive, it was about 60ft wide and surrounded by a wire Fence. I also remember throwing things in the hole and not hearing them hit the bottom, the hole was a collapsed mine shaft and was over a mile deep. It was capped and filled and the only trace of it these days is cylindrical piece of metal that protrudes about 12inches up from the ground. It is still visible from the road and i think it's painted blue. 

• Thanks (+1) 1