Sign in to follow this  
thyme

Clitheroes Van

I think it was a brown van that used to travel round selling bedding ( sheets, pillow cases etc ) and pinafores, clothing.

The customer used to pay so much a week and Mr Clitheroe used to mark it down in his little book.

This would have been in the 50s and early 60s.

I never heard this before, but I would be interested to know if anyone else remembers, as I am a Clitheroe and wonder if they were any relation to me?

Aye! me too Phyll.. Weeve geet be going back a while at great GG parents times?

My mum knew Ivy Clitheroe, she did indeed have a big van, and a large house in Dentons green, I remember visiting her home several times, I think they had a shop previously but I can't remember where, I was only about 7 or 8 back then.

• Like (+1) 1

@Phyll @PeteI remember my Nan talking about Ivy Clitheroe living a few doors away and think I might have worked it out.  Ivy Clitheroe was born in 1910 and was the daughter of William and Mary Clitheroe of 47 Boundary Rd. William was a Hawker of drapery and smallware. Ivy married Edward Yates in 1938 and lived In Coleridge Ave a few doors away from my grandparents. She must have taken over her parents business and run it under her maiden name. She had two brothers, Charles b 1902 and Harold James b 1907 . Their parents William Frederick Clitheroe married Mary Metcalf(e) in 1901

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tony J said:

@Phyll @PeteI remember my Nan talking about Ivy Clitheroe living a few doors away and think I might have worked it out.  Ivy Clitheroe was born in 1910 and was the daughter of William and Mary Clitheroe of 47 Boundary Rd. William was a Hawker of drapery and smallware. Ivy married Edward Yates in 1938 and lived In Coleridge Ave a few doors away from my grandparents. She must have taken over her parents business and run it under her maiden name. She had two brothers, Charles b 1902 and Harold James b 1907 . Their parents William Frederick Clitheroe married Mary Metcalf(e) in 1901

Oh well at least it's sorted then lol. the funny thing was that Id not given Ivy Clitheroe any thought in over 30 years, then early last week she popped into my head, then the other day I found this site and there you were, asking about her, weird or what.

• Like (+1) 1

Clitheroes have been talked about quite a lot over the years, but it was the mention of the first name Ivy that rang a bell with me from what my Nana said and that was over 40 years ago.

That's very interesting Tony, I just checked on the 1939 Reg Index and yes, she lived at 32 Coleridge Avenue, but I still can't figure out if she would have been related to me in some way.

What's interesting is, that she once lived at 47 Boundary Road, my Dad's Sister Martha Jones, nee Clitheroe lived at 316 Boundary Road, with her husband Eric Jones and son Eric, and there are a family of Jones living at 47 Boundary Road on the 1939 Index. So I wonder if there is a connection?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 03:14, Pete said:

Aye! me too Phyll.. Weeve geet be going back a while at great GG parents times?

Sorry Pete,  I must have missed your post first time, so are you related to Clitheroes, what were your Grandparents names and where did they live?

Edited by Phyll
  • Like (+1) 1