Sign in to follow this  
jinty

Prescot help please?

Hi all, I'm a newbie on here so go easy on me please smile.png

I was born in 1957 in Whiston Hospital. My mother lived with her mother and father at 32 Evans St, Prescot. We lived there until I was about 5 yrs old then we moved away, only returning occasionally to vist relatives in the area. I have a few memories from my early years but would love to know more.

I have very little other knowledge of my family history but would love to know anything at all that people may remember - either of the family or any information about the area in the 40's, 50's or 60's.

I havent been on a site like this before so am not aware of how much info I should put on here..do I post names?..how much info is ok and how much is too much?..is there such a thing?

Jinty

Post names - that's perfectly acceptable here - and I'm sure that you'll get some responses.

Welcome to the site Jinty - as Stephen says you have come to the best place

To get started you need to give some details about your parents and if you have it tthe same for grand parents

Surname & maiden name for mother

forenames

Any dates you have

births

marriages

deaths

Edited by GeoffB

Thanks for your advice smile.png

My mothers name was Winefride Molloy (although we just found out it was actually spelt 'Winifred' on her birth certificate - she must have just preferred the other spelling, because she had drilled it into us that it was spelt like St Winefride) ohyeah.gif

I was illegitimate and never knew my father..so thats a bit of a dead end - he was Welsh, thats all I know..

My maternal grandmother was Jane Molloy and maternal grandfather was Thomas Molloy - of Irish descent. On my mothers birth certificate it says he worked as a Labourer, Bronze Foundry at Electric Cable Works.

Dates are very few..all I know for sure is my mother was born 21 Feb 1931 and died 12 March 2016.

Anything that anyone knows would be of interest to me.

We left Prescot when I was 5 and moved to Wales where I have spent most of my life since, but I do have some memories of my time before we moved.

I remember we lived in front of the Gas Works and remember the big round towers. The Street had big flat cobbles, it wasnt tarmaced. There was an alley that ran along the back of the houses.

The house was a terrace with a parlour as you came in the front door, a best room that you werent allowed to use unless it was a special occasion smile.png it had a back room with a fire and that was where we lived. A small kitchen came off that and I remember sitting in the big sink getting washed tongue.png The stairs curved up from the back room to two sparse rooms upstairs. Everything was sparse in those days as we were pretty poor I think. Outside there was a narrow yard and the old man who lived next door kept budgies.

Around the corner was a grassy sloping area I think called 'the wreck'. There were quite a few bits of ground that was just piles of bricks and rubble with lots of Rosebay Willowherb growing amongst it, with their tall pink flowering stems that the bees loved.

I remember a girl called Pamela Webster who lived opposite on the corner, and a corner shop where I once had a 'Vimto' until a lad told me it was made out of spiders blood biggrin.png .. I have a photo of me taking part in a procession with lots of other girls dressed all in white and walking along the street (might be St Helens Rd)

Edited by jinty
  • Like (+1) 1

I just remembered something else..my grandmothers maiden name was Deville (French connection there apparently)

One thing I've noticed on reading posts here - other people use the title 'nin' for their gran ..now I know where I got that from :)

Jane Deville married Thomas Molloy in Q2 of 1920 in Prescot

1939 Register -

8 Central Ave., Prescot

Thomas Molloy, born 11/02/1901, General Labourer at Cable Works

Jane Molloy, born 20/09/1900, Unpaid Domestic Duties

Children Norah (1923), Thomas (1926) and Winifred (1931)

Thomas' date of birth is given in the 1839 Register as 11 February 1901 he was a general labourer at the cable works

Jane's date of birth is 20 September 1900

Winifred is shown aged 8 born 31 February 1931 she was at school

so we know we have the right family

ooo I'm all excited now :) This is the first bit of concrete info I've got..thank you all very much for giving me this start..do you have any suggestions where I go from here?

As far as I know my uncle (Thomas, as I now know) died very young.

..one other thing..there was an elder sister to my mother Winifred, she was called Marcella and she married a George Beer, they lived in Cornwall when I knew them..do you know any reason she wouldnt be mentioned? She wasnt living with them then maybe?

The 1939 Register is newly released

It was completed in December 1939 to detail every person living in the UK and Northern Island

it was used as the basis for ID cards,ration book issuing etc during WW2

it was maintained until the late 1960s

Unless there is no doubt that the people are dead the release contains what they term as "locked records" i.e. you cannot see they details

The family at 8 Central Ave comprised 5 people

obviously 1 and 2 were Thomas and Jane - on the transcription 3,4,5 are shown as locked records

however viewing the original image there is a bit of a slip up and the 5th person 's details - Winifred - are shown

there is no information as to who numbers 3 and 4 are

we'll keep on looking

Thomas' date of birth is given in the 1839 Register as 11 February 1901

Hi Geoff, Just so Jinty is not confused, did you mean 1939?

Dates are very few..all I know for sure is my mother was born 21 Feb 1931 and died 12 March 2016.

Hi Jinty, welcome.gif to Connect. Lots of nice, helpful people on here. So sorry you lost your Mum recently.

..one other thing..there was an elder sister to my mother Winifred, she was called Marcella and she married a George Beer, they lived in Cornwall when I knew them..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but could this be Marcella Beer?

REQUIESCANT IN PACE

Please pray for the repose of the soul of Joan Insley who died on Thursday and

for the repose of the soul of Marcella Beer whose funeral service is at Glynn

Valley Crematorium this coming Wednesday 16th March at 1.30pm.

http://www.augustineofhippo.org.uk/newsletters/2016/mar13.pdf

Marcella C Beer

St Austell, Cornwall, PL25

Full Address

Other Occupants

George P Beer

2002-03

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/beer/m/8/

Edited by Phyll

Thanks Phyll - I'll must learn to type one day

• Like (+1) 1

Am I reading Phyll's post correctly, as it suggests to me that Marcella and Winifred died within a few days of each other?

Marcella's birth was registered in Prescot in Q4/1920

Edited by stephen nulty

Nice one Geoff.

I wonder if the Deville branch arrived in the UK during the Great War, perhaps as part of the large influx of Belgian and French refugees. I can't immediately locate anything beyond that marriage in 1920

Horatio Henry Deville married Kate White in 1896

There is in the 1891 Census a Horatio Devall a lodger in Barnsley - he is a glass blower

I can't find for now any trace of him after that or his wife Kate and son George after 1901

First of all. thank you very much for the welcome :) I can see Phyll is right - you're certainly a lovely, friendly and extremely helpful bunch of people here :)

You seem to be right about my mother and auntie dying within days of each other - what a strange coincidence that is. Something happened between them a long time ago - I think when my nin died. I wasnt ever told what it was but they havent spoken or stayed in touch since - in fact I was led to believe that Auntie Marcella was dead, so have never made any effort to get in touch - how tragic if that wasnt so and I have missed all these years.

I'm very excited about all the information you have unearthed for me about my family but I'm realising it doesnt half tug at the heartstrings doesnt it?

thanks to all of you x

Just to add that Jane Devel (sic) granddaughter age 11 b Worksop Notts is living Huyton Lane, Huyton with Roby with George & Betsy White on the 1911 Census.

Census form completed by enumerator ? as George could not write and signs with X , his mark

You seem to be right about my mother and auntie dying within days of each other - what a strange coincidence that is.

I thought the same, strange but also sad.

Thanks for yet another snippet which is helping me to fill in the many gaps John :)

Life can be both strange and sad Phyll, but I suppose thats why its not boring :)

JInty

I've done a little more work and I believe you have some cousins

You knew about Marcella and George Beer - they had 4 children 2 born in Prescot

http://www.prescot.org/?page_id=1301&t=2&root=2&pid=41411

I have found a marriage for Norah in 1943 - to William Welsby - they had 3 children

http://www.prescot.org/?page_id=1301&t=2&root=2&pid=41407

to prove this the actual marriage and birth certificates will be needed

Edited by GeoffB

1901 Census 8 Cumber Lane Whiston Lancs

George White Head 50 Gardner Domestic b Yorkshire

Betsy White wife 50 b Barnsley Yorkshire

Mary L White dau S 19 Watch Pinion Polisher b Yorkshire

Elizabeth E White dau S 13 House Maid b Yorkshire

Kate Deville dau M 24 Laundress b Yorkshire

Jennie Deville Granddau 7 b Worksop Notts

George Deville Grandson 3 b Atherton Lancs

Jane Deville baptised 11 Oct 1899 at St Mary Priory C of E, Worksop

Father Horatio Henry - mother transcribed as Ada. Family living 9 Cuthbert Street which I presume is Worksop

Wow! so much info!

GeoffB - in your 2nd link - for Norah..Where is says 'Census 1939 et is that meaning Norah?..wouldnt she have been 16 then, not 13 as stated if she was born in 1923? ..or am I reading it wrong somewhere?

I'm excited to find all these cousins :)

jvy20 - so much info there! I have so much to look into now :)

Thank you both so very much for looking up all this info - I'm very glad I checked out this forum - its amazing.

As the amount of info is now building up - does anyone have an opinion where/how to transcribe it all? There seems to be more info than will fit on a simple family tree idea..how do you all keep your own information and details in a structured and easily accessible format?

I'd be grateful for any ideas you may all have.

thank you again x

Use Ancestry.co.uk to record your family tree. This sill also offer "hints" to other relations if it finds possible matches

Or alternatively, download some free genealogy software, there are lots of options available to you

Jinty - corrected date not sure if it was a typo or brain fade

I started looking at my family history around 10 years ago - I couldn't find anything suitable programme at that time so I wrote my own I'm a retired IT Director my background is in databases and programming

At first it was just my and my wife's family - but when I retired I decided to take on the whole of Prescot :-)

My intention was to allow people to register and "adopt" their family - enter data edit etc

If you want to be a guinea pig and take over your family let me know

Edited by GeoffB
  • Like (+1) 1

Stephen, thank you for that - I'll have a look at both options :)

GeoffB - You obviously have the experience to know what you're doing :) When I feel a bit more confident I'd probably like to do that, 'adopt' my family - thank you for the offer.