Sign in to follow this  
jmosh

An Image or two from the past

Of course they were,the germans dropped them on St Helens,hence the damage to peters leg.

bloody hell so they bounced and ricochet'd around and 1 or 2 hit the mon's fiberglass leg and damaged it? bet the Germans didn't mean to damage stuff in St Helens cus they was only trying to drip feed us new tech that was being suppressed by Winston and his cohorts .

Yeah I recon it stands to reason.

• Like (+1) 1

The old Lea railway bridge Green bridge and a cast iron gas lamp post standing next to it had bullet holes from the the second WW.

• Like (+1) 1

My dads uncle lived in barton street just a few doors away from those houses that were bombed in Talbot street,he said he found a finger in his yard the following morning.

Thanks Phyll for the photo of a view of a bygone Church St,It brought back found memories.

• Like (+1) 1

In this weeks 'Star' there is an article (and pic) of 'Paddy' on the front cover giving details about the statue being shortlisted for a prestigious heritage object. He was apparently at Dewars for 88 years 1895-1983 and then donated to the World of Glass. I tried to post a link to the story but can't find one - can anyone help?

He arrived before the numbering of houses was commonplace so distinct shop signs were used to identify various shops. Paddy depicted the era of the Irish Twist Tobacco Trade with his Shillelagh and Churchwarden pipe.

Looks like Phyll was correct in #24 about him being the original statue

He is definitely in the World of Glass.. I was in a couple of weeks back and saw him,

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Kizzy, Pratts was a make of Petrol, I believe it's a Petrol Pump Glass Globe that they used to have in Petrol Stations.

"Circa 1915 (8) Gilbert and Barker Model T 8 Pump in Pratts Colours

Skeleton pumps soon became beacons to passing motorists to indicate the availability of petroleum spirit.

Pumps were often over 8 feet (2.4 metres)tall with glass cylinders topped with illuminated glass globes."

http://www.petroliana.co.uk/images/History/Gilbert1.jpg

As a point of trivia. Pratts was a British petroleum company that became Anglo American Oil in or just after 1911, and then later (1935) became Esso. The interesting thing is that petrol pumps were only introduced after 1921. Prior to that, petrol was sold in cans..

Signed, Ann O'rack ohyeah.gif