Sign in to follow this  
Dickdaggart

Junction of Duke Street and College Street

Does anyone know what buildings occupied the land on the carriageway on the roundabout at the Duke Street and College Street junction, and, if so, anything about their history ? We are probably looking back to times of yore.

Any help appreciated.

I'm pretty sure an old pub was one of the buildings and opposite that on the same side of the road but the other side of Baldwin Street was a furniture shop. There's sure to be old photos on this site if you search

The pub on the corner of Duke Street and Baldwin Street was The Scarisbrick.

I think the last landlord was Bert Pritchard.

Edited by HORT
  • Like (+1) 1

DICKDAGGART-Sextons furniture shop.On the land where the taxi cab offices and various takeaways is now-JOHNSONS CLEANERS,Photographers(my mums wedding photographer)CHOLERTON'S.There was a bank of some sort? I believe.My friend whose sister had a boutique there as well.NOT THAT I EVER EVER EVER went in.On the part where the taxi firm is now it was a sex shop of sorts?.Quite an interesting mix for such a small triangle-eh!

I think he was after the corner of Duke St and College St. Possibly on the corner opposite The Lamb pub or Lincoln House :dunno:

The ones suggested are on the corners of North Rd / Duke St.

LE 200.I was referring to the triangle set up that had SEXTONS directly opp the side of the YMCA.In respect of the junctions can I proffer that the Duke st stops at the Capitol and Corporation st starts at the YMCA.Because Sextons spanned the 2 junctions.The side corner of YMCA on College st Housed the NCB offices.I was in the YMCA scouts when the whole site of YMCA was redeveloped to remove the old main entrance in North road and slightly move it.The rear of the YMCA in College st was redeveloped to house a set of small shops.However if you look at the structure on the corner of College st you can still see the old offices of the Coal Board.Above which was where the Scouts used to meet.I would also suggest that the clear distinction of the whole set of junctions is needed even by DICKDAGGART to avoid confusion.You have Baldwin st/North Road/ Duke st as one and College st/Corporation st as the other.Where the triangle of shops now stands opp side of YMCA you had SEXTONS furniture shop.Plus to add more .If you look across from College st you follow the OLD Street as it went past Pets Emporium to join Baldwin st.Thus making the TRIANGLE as advised.

Edited by non sibi sed omnibus

can I proffer that the Duke st stops at the Capitol and Corporation st starts at the YMCA

You can but someone had better contact the council and tell them they have the Corporation St signs in the wrong place.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4552255,-2.7380233,3a,59y,205.01h,82.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swT5MlyabmY9AizkbPBA96g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4552255,-2.7380233,3a,59y,48.15h,95.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swT5MlyabmY9AizkbPBA96g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

In the early 50s there was the Capitol Cinema on one corner to North Rd, and I seem to reemember a fishing tackle shop, and a small greengrocers, but can't be sure.

Thanks for your replies.

To avoid confusion as to where exactly I mean, imagine walking down North Road to town centre on the left hand side of the street.

At the end of North Road turn left, walk the short distance to College Street and turn left again.

It is the short distance between North Road and College Street that interests me.

I remember all the businesses mentioned in the replies, especially The Scarisbrick pub which curved round the bend between Baldwin St. and Duke St.

The purpose of my enquiry probably pre dates all the above, and to use an old expression "goes back yonks"

What is the purpose of your enquiry, it might help with the answers. The YMCA gym must have been rebuilt at some time as it was there in Slaters 1895 directory, obviously not the present building. The bit on the corner of College St used to be National Coal Board.

Incidentally Slaters shows Duke St as starting at College St but as Corporation St is numbered from the other end it would be easy enough to change or perhaps the numbers were so few it did not matter.

Have found a pic on Facebook, there was an old Manse on the corner of College St next to the ymca

On really old maps the bit between North Rd and College St is called Moor Flat St and on the opposite side to the YMCA was a type of workhouse

Edited by Tony J

Thanks Tony J

The info about the manse and workhouse is interesting.

Before I give my reason for asking the question, I would like to ask another question.

Has anyone noticed something strange when driving on this short stretch of road between North Road and College Street ?

The strange thing I experience,cannot be seen or heard but I experience it every time I drive this stretch of road.

Tony J.right.There was as I mentioned a big refurb/rebuild at YMCA.I was in the YMCA scouts at the time.Princess Royal came to "reopen" and there is the plaque.We were introduced to her in that corner over what was the coalboard offices.

A bit of info.We were organising a dance in the gym.as it had stage etc.We were told BEATLES were available around £70 for the night.A bit too dear.So we got Rory Storm and the Hurricanes instead.

Dickdaggart-Is it the smell of cannabis? perfume of wine?Thats why they removed the benches etc from the roundabout area.

Hi non sibi sed omnibus

No it's not the smell of cannabis,wine or perfume.

I too have memories of the YMCA gym and your story of Rory Storm and the Hurricanes reminded me of the time we organised a dance at the church youth club in Eaves Lane Sutton and we booked this act as well. Another time we booked Tiffany and the Thoughts (a well known act in the sixties)

The can't be heard and can't be seen sensation I get when I reach that point is one of total depression about how my home-town has been transformed into a soulless, motorist-unfriendly maze of yellow-lined streets

Dickdaggart-If you go down to the left into college st.Just as you get to the end of the small set of shops.There is a doorway/gateway.If ,in the past you went through the doorway into the yard.There was a small set of steps down into the bowels of the YMCA-h&s!!! It lead to a small set of rooms.One was for weightlifters the other we used as the scout meeting room.Crossing an OPEN SEWER and all.Perhaps its the smell of the GHOSTS !!of these SCOUTS/WEIGHTLIFTERS-?

Dickdaggart it is about 30 years since I moved away and even though I visit regularly it is not a road I use often.

Hi non sibi sed omnibus

The info about the basement of the YMCA and the open sewer is interesting.

It is not the smell of the sewer, or the smell of the weightlifters.

Indeed, what I'm asking about does'nt smell at all.

I'll give it a couple more days then I'll tell all.

When you mentioned ghosts you are on the right track.

Prepare to enter The Twilight Zone.

I used to go to Yoga classes at the YMCA and the hall we used was supposedly haunted by a minister or similar. I never saw or heard anything myself but the Yoga teacher wouldn't stay in the room alone. Is this anything to do with your story? Hurry up and tell us you've got me wondering now smile.png

Pennine laundry was on the corner of Duke Street opposite the Capitol.

Hi Kizzy and Dicky D

I must admit that I've never heard about the YMCA being haunted

Did the Pennine laundry occupy the building that was Kenneth's Furniture store ?

Calm down Kizzy, all we be explained shortly. In another thread on here about St Helens Ghosts the North Road area is mentioned a lot, so much so that it appears to be Spook Central. The place I'm on about is round the corner from North Road.

The sewer mentioned running underneath the YMCA is a good clue - depending on it's direction of course.

I think the Pennine Laundry was one block further down - corner of New Cross St & Duke St.

The building that housed the Penine Laundry is still there on the corner of Duke St and Ormskirk St.

Its a pub now called the Roundabout.

It still has the same windows through which you could see the ironing machines pressing and folding shirts.

The building that housed the Penine Laundry

The last time I went past it was a furniture shop. Sephton's Printers was on the opposite corner.

A bit of useless information, in the original plan for the town centre redevelopment this was one of the junctions planned to be a two level intersection if the growing traffic demanded it.