Sign in to follow this  
TriciaF

Marriage look-up 1905 (wanting father's name)

Hi,

Could someone help please?

I have found the marriage of John Ernest Hulme to Jane Renshaw, Q2 1905, Prescot. I am trying to establish who Jane's father was and what he did for a living. Her address at the time of the marriage would be a bonus.

I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Sorry father's name not on but st Helens marriages cd

John E Hulme m Jane Renshaw 11 April 1905 at St Helens Parish Church

Have you tried 1901 census for addresses?

Can't find them on census 1911, not only that but there isn't a Jane Renshaw in St Helens ever

You would be best looking at the parish record if it exists (1905?)at the history and archives library for St Helens Parish church or buying the marriage cert

Is your John Hulme son of James O. Hulme bootmaker and Fanny, both of Swinton Ykshire?

If so they are all at 76 Cooper St Windle in 1891 and 205 Windleshaw Rd in 1901 John is a bootmaker apprentice born in Windle 1885 and has a brother called James E Hulme born 1881

Good luck with that strange one ;)

John Ernest Hulme, 20, Bachelor, Bootmaker, 99 Hardshaw Street: Father James Hulme (Bootmaker)

Jane Renshaw, 20, Spinster, 71 North Road: Father John Renshaw (Mason)

Can't find them on census 1911, not only that but there isn't a Jane Renshaw in St Helens ever

If it is the right family John Ernest was dead by 1907 and his brother James Edgar, father James Oakes and mother Fanny are all in the same plot at the borough cemetery.

There is a Jane Renshaw baptised 18th Jan 1885 (born 21 nov 1884) St Thomas Eccleston , mother Martha

Thank you very much to all who replied. LankyLad's reply is exactly what I was looking for and TonyJ's in very interesting too. Armed with this information I should now be able to link the daughter of John Ernest Hulme and Jane Renshaw (Dorothy b 1906) to the Renshaws in my family tree.

It seems that it is the Jane Renshaw born out of wedlock 21 Nov 1884. Her mother, Martha, married Maurice Jones in 1887 and she appears with them as Martha Jones on the 1891 census in Parr. Martha died in 1895 at the age of 30. This Martha is my ggg aunt, so the link is now established - thanks! I am unable to find Jane on the 1901 census under the name Renshaw or Jones though. Maurice went on to remarry shortly after Martha died in 1895 and I've found him on the 1901 census. I think Jane Renshaw putting her father as John Renshaw, mason, is fictitious. Anyway, thanks again to you all.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Jane Renshaw putting her father as John Renshaw, mason, is fictitious.

I have come across a few similarities in my family, they never reckoned on the internet catching them out in the future!

• Like (+1) 1

I meant on census. Which census is that Lankylad?

It was not uncommon for people born out of wedlock to use their Grandfather's name as name of father, on wedding certificates.