Sign in to follow this  
stephen nulty

1939 Register - Doulton Street, St Helens

Stephen,

Many thanks for sharing that, My gt grandparents Edward and Mary Griffiths were your grandparents next door neighbours at 24, can you make out what the red writing says?

Looks like Surface to me

Small world, eh Tony? I recall them living in Upland Road for many years before moving down to Queensland Avenue in Thatto Heath when the flats were built, but I don't remember Doulton Street

I have looked at the red writing for ages, but I'm afraid I can't figure it out. What would make sense in front of "Pipe Fitter's Labourer"?

UPDATE

I have just noticed that the same word in red is also higher up the page, for Mr Hull at No 16. I am convinced that it says "Sanitary" and I suppose it was used to differentiate between, for example, Gas Pipe fitters, etc.

I think John's comment re "Surface" relates to the first entry in red and I agree that it says "surface"

Edited by stephen nulty

I agree, you get it in the mining jobs too

Some images have codes annotated in green and red for administration purposes, there is no information on the deciphering of these codes and the separate pages they refer to have not been imaged.

It is indeed a small world Stephen. I wondered about the annotation and as I am colourblind I find red very difficult to read. I have looked at the house in Doulton St which looks very different now but like yourself I don't remember it as Ted Griffiths died in 1944 and Mary in 1960 when I was only 3.

I can definitely see the word Surface higher up the page but not sure about the annotation next to my gt grandfather, also after it in brackets is Peter, wonder if that was the start of the name of his employer.

Ratty , with regards to the miners and surface, it makes me wonder if it was added to distinguish between those in protected occupations and those not!

At the moment I am working through a box of photos which came from 24 Doulton St and trying to put names to them but it is hard going after so long, I wish I had seen them years ago when there were still people around who would remember who they were, though I have found some relatives who are trying to help.

Tony

I think your grandfather's notation is definitely "Sanitary". Also, I did think that the word on the right said "Peter" but on closed inspection, I now think it says "Retired". Given his date of birth in 1878, he would have been 61 by the time of the register and so it is certainly possible that he was retired

Think you right Steven - very very similar to entry for Thomas Etheridge and Henry Pennington at Nos 8 and 10

I think you are right Stephen, I believe he was not in very good health and was dead 3 years later. I have no idea what he looked like but a connection in New Zealand sent me a photograph of Edward's father so am hopeful of finding a pic one day, I might even have one in my box!

I think you're right TonyJ.. that's one top reason for the survey after all, to identify needed trades and skills

I also think you are right Stephen.

William Hulls job seems to be kiln hand,i know his father was at one time employed at Doultons in Boundary rd.Ibelieve they produced, sanitary pipes for drains