Sign in to follow this  
RATTY

German WWII image of Prescot

Came across this while searching for a map the other day, I always do a search for Prescot and St helens when I'm on a site like this and this is the only thing that popped up here, spooky!

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/view/search;JSESSIONID=0786f270-7f63-473a-96d2-2cae9f0654be?QuickSearchA=QuickSearchA&q=Prescot&sort=pub_list_no_initialsort%2Cpub_date%2Cpub_list_no%2Cseries_no&search=Search

• Like (+1) 5

Great photo Ratty. There are quite a few similar on the net. I think Mr. Nulty also has a few as will G. I'm always surprised at how clear the pics are.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow Ratty!!! The house where I was raised is in that photograph! There's a dark diagonal line in the left-hand corner of the photograph which was once named 'Box Entry'. The first row of houses, which can just be seen leading off the left off the 'Entry', are the 'Backs' of William's Street. The 3rd barely discernable white 'blob' from the Entry was, in another life, my bedroom at No.18. You never overslept in those houses..the B.I. buzzer was a remorseless alarm clock never differentiating between the worker and those who were still at school.

• Like (+1) 1

You never overslept in those houses..the B.I. buzzer was a remorseless alarm clock never differentiating between the worker and those who were still at school.

Play fair G, nobody in Prescot overslept, the hooter could be heard all over the town. Probably woke up several nearby villages as well.

Good find Ratty. Prescot can be thankful that the bombers didn't flatten it. We could hear the buzzer in Nutgrove.

G, seeing as you lived by box entry, can you confirm/deny that it was so named because ammunition boxes were stacked on the factory side?

The name was, of course, a local one the entry itself carried no name.

L, I only remember Box Entry with a high wall covered on top with glass shards. Arthur Roberts in his 'Prescot when I was a boy' recalled Box Lane*.." as a boy I sometimes traversed this and on its southern side, which bordered the B.I. factory, the fence was constructed of what appeared to be ammunition boxes from the First World War".

*Box Entry was well known and well used when I lived there aged 2 to 13yrs before my emigration to St Louis, but never heard it described as Box Lane during that time or since then, although I'm sure Arthur was correct, perhaps indicating that the passage may have been an ancient lane of Prescot, long predating the B.I.C.C.

Thanks G. I've looked at a few old maps and I too have never seen Box Lane. Looks like the ammo box story is correct. smile.png

I don't believe it was ever bombed, though the Air Raid siren was common in the dark days of 1940, according to my Nin who lived in Lathum Close. They had an Anderson shelter in the back garden according to my dad (b.1933)

Vague memory of my mother saying that a bomb landed close to the gas works but did not explode

Just been speaking to someone about this, they say a bomb landed in Oliver Lyme Road but, again, didn't explode, it demolished part of the school wall opposite Tinlings.