Sign in to follow this  
Ned

St Mary Church Graveyard

Stephen. Been to the graveyard today just to do the final check on the new (1903) Extension should be finished by next Sat The friends where there and uncovered a few graves for me We also turned one over it was of a Edward Lloyd and Thomas Lloyd as an M.I. on it Died 23 Feb 1915 the oldest son of Edward and Mary. I will send you a Photo by Email if you want one let me know

Here is how things are going from the Plan that I found, I have Numbered all the graves and took Photo all the graves I then Transfared the M.I. to the funeral books So if someone is looking for a Arthur Green they can find him in the Funeral book which is searchable at the side of his name will be his grave No so if by looking at the grave No you will find who else is buried in that Grave if you then go to the Photo file there is a photo of the grave

• Like (+1) 2

Yes, I'd appreciate the mi picture, thanks

Well is as taken a wail But it is done All of the new extensions 1903 and 1913 just over 400 graves and over 1300 names The original grave plan as gone to be copied and the grave No's and name to be put on. My next job is the section on the left going down the path from the church. I have found more plans of the graveyard I've not seen them yet they should be here in about a week or so

• Like (+1) 2

Identified another 37 graves Numbered them and transcribed their names to the data base That over 450 graves done and nearly !000 Names

Stephen found the M.I. for David Frances Roberts stone needs cleaning then I will take a photo and send it to you

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Ned, Were Whiston workhouse inmates buried in common graves, and if so was there special section for them.

Most where buried in common graves I have not found any yet but I have only scratched the surface so to speak, A few from 1 Warrington Rd do have family graves

Thanks Ned, you are doing a great job. Will there be a downloadable graveyard map of St Mary's?

On two the C.W.G.C. Stanley is 130 and Hale is No 147 but I get them as 129 and 148.

Ned, I have been looking at the plan and MI's from St Annes Sutton and the two do not tie up exactly so I assume at some stage extra graves were added on the end of rows, perhaps St Mary's is the same.

Yes sorry found the fault was one row had 44 graves but the row that Stanley is in only had 43 I have corrected the data base Thanks Tony

Started on Section 2 now this is on the left coming down the path from the Church Only 121 graves so should not take long I hope after that 6 more sections and it will be done

• Like (+1) 1

Had an inquiry for a location of a grave that a family have been looking for years and I found it for them and that's what it is all about GREAT

• Like (+1) 4

Excellent Ted. The work you're doing is priceless :)

• Like (+1) 2

Section 2 finished 123 grave last week two of the up turned stones where turned over two more need to be photo'd in the early morning light to bring the full details out So I have done new extension !903, New extension 1913, Section 1 down to the new path, Section 2 top left from Manchester Rd . Section 3 next this one has at least 72 graves down an 15 across just keep going with the head down

• Like (+1) 1

Just to let you know I have been working on the Chantry over the last few weeks getting ready for My Tours over Heritage weekend So I have not do a great deal at St Mary's but will start again soon. Sect 3 as been started but still a lot to do, Sect 1 and Sect 2 are finished The new extension (1906) as four more stones to be turned then that can be finished

• Like (+1) 2

Someone I know of is looking too Ted for details of a family of Hewitts

John Hewitt born 1789 and died 1866 and his wife Mary(nee Marsh I think) born 1795 died between 1842+51? we cant find her death He was a well to do watch and chronometer maker lived in Atherton Street. If you can find details of this grave on your travels that would be great

We have a lot of info for these and I'm only interested in this info, to save anyone time searching for other stuff

Hi Ratty I have a John Hewitt 21/10/1866 age 77 and a Mary Hewitt 3/1/1845 age 49 as yet I do not have there burial plot I have still a lot to do but will inform you when I find it hope this helps

Aw thanks for that, are they in the same grave or seperate do you know ? Just that there are two families with the same names and similar ages noway.gif

The other John Hewitt died 1843

Thanks a lot Ted

I have not found there grave yet they could have been buried near the church and if so they have been moved but leave it with me. I will not be doing any work up there till after the 12/9/2016 as I am working on the Chantry getting it ready for Heritage Weekend as I will be doing my tours

Ratty,

Are the Hewittts you are looking for related to the Alexandra PH Hewitts?

I dont know Halj I never went that far in researching but I think someone else did say he was a later member of the family. I was just involved in the earlier stuff. This John seemed to have had a link to the watch factory or maybe his son I cant remember now.

Thanks very much for looking Ted, theres no rush, he's not going anywhere ;)

Hello

I am currently trying to locate the graves of the following (my 2 x Gt Grandparents & 3x Gt Grandparents) who were buried at St Mary's, Prescot:

Thomas Lyon (23 Dec 1838 - 13 May 1869)
Jane Lyon (1835 - 1910)
William Lyon (19 Feb 1808 - 29 Mar 1867)
Sarah Lyon (12 June 1808 - June 1867)
John Jones (1775? - 1777? - Apr 1842)
Ellen Jones (7 Oct 1775 - Aug 1853)

If anyone knows of any way to establish the whereabouts of their graves, it would be much appreciated.

I believe that someone has started to compile a map (Ned?), it would mean so much to learn where these people are buried.

Hope that someone can help!

J

I will have a look at what I have and get back to you I still have quite a lot of work to do it could take another year before I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

• Like (+1) 1

Thomas Lyon (23 Dec 1838 - 13 May 1869) There is a burial record for 2nd April 1869, aged 32, lived in Eccleston.

Jane Lyon (1835 - 1910) Unable to locate a record of her burial at St Mary's

William Lyon (19 Feb 1808 - 29 Mar 1867) Burial record dated 2nd April 1867. Aged 59, residence Whiston

Sarah Lyon (12 June 1808 - June 1867) Burial dated 10th June 1867. Also aged 59 and resident of Whiston

John Jones (1775? - 1777? - Apr 1842) Burial 18th May 1842, aged 65 and resident in Prescot

Ellen Jones (7 Oct 1775 - Aug 1853) Burial record 20th August 1853, aged 78, Prescot
  • Like (+1) 1

Thank you for your help so far, it is much appreciated. I am really hoping that the graves can be located in the cemetery & that there are gravestones to mark them.