Sign in to follow this  
LizM

MATHER marries MATHER puzzle

Wondering if anyone has come across a puzzle such as this? We have a marriage certificate where a Mather marries a Mather..

October 1875

Thomas Mather, age 20, Glassmaker from Eccleston, son of Thomas Mather also a Glassmaker

Married

Annie Mather, age 21 from Eccleston, Daughter of Thomas Mather, Labourer.

The puzzle is trying to unravel two Mather families living in the same area and both having at least one Thomas.

Hi LizM, welcome.gif to Connect. Yes I know what you mean, it can be very confusing!

My Auntie's maiden name was Casey, she married my Uncle, also named Casey,

luckily I already knew about this before I started my Family Tree.

I don't know if this helps, but it looks like in 1881, Thomas and Annie lived at 104 Lyon St. with their 3 sons,

Thomas, William and Joseph and there is an older Thomas Mather (born in Billinge) living at 126 Lyon St,

this could be her father? Then if you go back and look at the 1771 Census, the same Thomas Mather,

(born in Billinge) has a wife named Annie and a daughter named Annie about the right age, plus more family.

I found these on the Forum Censuses, you should check Ancestry for more exact info. Good Luck!

Edited by Phyll

Hi LizM

I have Leyland marring Leyland.

My Great-grandfather Peter Leyland married Jane Leyland at Lowe House 18 November 1856, Peter 21 June 1834 son of Thomas & Ellen Leyland nee Vose, Jane Leyland 12 May 1837 daughter of John & Jane Leyland nee Hunter, these two Leyland families do connect together in the mid 1700's.

Have you any connection to 2 Mather brothers marring 2 Leyland sister?

Henry Mather born about 1799 married Elizabeth Frodsham 1808 at Rainford Chapel 8 August 1825 James Birchall; Alice Birchall, there 2 sons Joseph Mather 1828 married Margaret Leyland at Rainford Chapel 26 April 1847 wit Samuel Woods; Ann Woods. I have found 7 children of Joseph & Margaret. Joseph died 29 August 1898. Margaret died 14 December 1904. Both are buried in St Helens Cemetery, Catholic section 23 grave 371, there is a headstone on this grave, I have photo

Henry Mather 1833 married Mary Leyland at St Helens Chapel 1 January 1854 wit Joseph Mather; Margaret Mather. I have found 4 children of Henry & Mary, Henry died 2 October 1902, Mary died 2 December 1904 both are buried in St Helens Cemetery section 4 grave 124. There is a headstone on the grave, I have photo.

Mary Leyland born 19 November 1834 and Margaret Leyland born 1827 both sister was baptised at St Mary R.C Blackbrook, there was no date of birth in Margaret's baptism just a baptism date of 23 September 1827,are 2 sister of Thomas & Ellen Leyland nee Marsh.

Edited by wrb

I presume this is the marriage at Christ Church C of E.

Possible Cencus info on Thomas, the groom ,1871 aged 16 living at Lyon St, Eccleston, Prescot son of Thomas & Annie Mather.

Possible for Annie, the bride, 1871 aged 16 living Peel Street, Windle daughter of Thomas & Ann.

John

Then if you go back and look at the 1771 Census,

Sorry, I meant 1871.

Here is their marriage as on LOPC.

Marriage: 25 Oct 1875 Christ Church, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Thomas Mather - (X), 20, Glass Maker, Bachelor, Eccleston

Annie Mather - 21, Spinster, Eccleston

Groom's Father: Thomas Mather, Glass Maker

Bride's Father: Thomas Mather, Labourer

Witness: Daniel Glover; Margaret Trantum, (X)

Married by Banns by: R. P. Crockett

Register: Marriages 1873 - 1879, Page 110, Entry 220

Source: LDS Film 1657567

? The Children of Thomas and Annie, including Twins!

Baptism: 19 Oct 1876 St Thomas, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Thomas Mather - [Child] of Thomas Mather & Ann

Born: 21 Sep 1876

Abode: Eccleston

Baptised by: Wm. Smith

Register: Baptisms 1872 - 1879, Page 184, Entry 1471

Source: LDS Film 1849656

Baptism: 31 Dec 1877 St Thomas, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

William Mather - [Child] of Thomas Mather & Ann

Born: 23 Nov

Abode: 41 Napier St.

Notes: [The letter P is written in margin and written under Date is Rec. into Ch. Feb 17 1875]

Baptised by: Jas C. Pigot

Register: Baptisms 1872 - 1879, Page 246, Entry 1965

Baptism: 31 Dec 1877 St Thomas, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Joseph Mather - [Child] of Thomas Mather & Ann

Born: 23 Nov

Abode: 41 Napier St.

Notes: [The letter P is written in the margin and written under date is Rec into Ch. Feb 17 1875]

Baptised by: Jas C. Pigot

Register: Baptisms 1872 - 1879, Page 246, Entry 1964

But sadly Joseph died @ 16 weeks!

Burial: 10 Mar 1878 St Thomas, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Joseph Mather -

Abode: Napier St.

Buried by: Jas. C. Right

Register: Burials 1873 - 1878, Page 99, Entry 787

Source: LDS Film 1849657

Then as I said earlier, according to the 1881 Census, at 104 Lyon St., they have another son, also named Joseph,

aged 1 month, can't find his baptism on LOPC though.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/index.html

Edited by Phyll

Thank you all for the information and suggestions, some of which I'd already found. I'll use it all to piece the jigsaw together.

Thanks

I have these Mathers in my family history, (my wife's line). PM me for my email and I will give you all I can back to the 1700,s

my great grandfather was Frank Riley ..his sister Mary married a Frank Riley. I also have Mathers in my family tree. Thomas Mather gardener married a Catherine Lay/Ley? in 1820.

Marriage: 23 Apr 1820 St Wilfrid, Farnworth near Prescot, Lancashire, England Thomas Mather - Gardener of this Parish Catharine Lay - (X), Spinster of this Parish Witness: William Fairclough, (X); Peter Shaw Married by Banns by: William Thompson

On 22/08/2015 at 23:19, Dicky D said:

I have these Mathers in my family history, (my wife's line). PM me for my email and I will give you all I can back to the 1700,s

I have a Mather line in my family tree also, starting with Margaret (Ann?) Mather 1847-1907 who married a Moses Trantum - she was my 3rd great grandmother on my mother's side. Margaret Mather's father was Thomas Mather 1825-1896 who married Ann Parr. Thomas' father was Henry Mather 1803-1839 who married Elizabeth Frodsham. I seem to have hit a brick wall at Henry and Elizabeth as I can't find their Rainford wedding record of 1825 to determine their parents' names etc. 

Familysearch has the following - marriage entry for  Henry & Elizabeth 8 Aug 1825  but no parents' names given.

Baptism for a Henry Mather born 16 Dec 1803 at St Helens Lancs father Thomas. 

Baptism for a Betty Frodsham born 1806 at St Helens Lancs father Joseph

Doubt you will ever find their parents' names as they are not mentioned on marriage entry in Rainford Church registers

Having said that I have found that Elizabeth Mather remarried 24 Aug 1844 at Prescot St Mary. Bride's father  Joseph Frodsham Blacksmith.

On 1851 Census family living Coal Pit Lane, Parr, St Helens

Thanks for your reply regarding Henry Mather and Elizabeth Frodsham - that's helpful information. I shall do some more research on Joseph Frodsham and try to determine who his wife was and who his parents were etc.