Sign in to follow this  
Vanwall

Minors of the ABC

Who remembers going to the kids Sat morning matinee at the Cap and the cinema manager (always in black tie) would come onto the stage and we would all sing our little hearts out:

We are the minors of the ABC..

Aye, an aunty of mine was an usherette at the cap.

And we'd all be stamping when the baddies got their comeuppance, etc.

Every Saturday we went to the pictures, I think stamping your feet for the goodies and booing the baddie was an obligatory part of the process. The enjoyment we got out of such simple pleasures, the films were brilliant flipper, lone ranger, flash Gordon, flicker to name but a few had us on the edge of our seats. A very enjoyable part of our sat routine, that and watching the saints what more could a child ask for.

Anybody out there remember watching a weekly serial about a race of beings from outer space who landed on the earth and started to take over control of all human beings by throwing small round balls (about the size of a glass blobber (stony) which bust when they came into contact with the victim, the victim was then taken over by the being that threw the ball by walking into the smoke?

I was among those minors. My friend's mother was an usherette, and had the great skill of walking backwards down the aisle carrying an illuminated tray with ice cream, orange juice, etc. I seem to remember a Batman serial, the Curse of Dr Fu Man Chu, etc. I suspect that, even in the late fifties and just tipping over into the sixties, some of these serials had done service for a very long time.