Sign in to follow this  
Vanwall

The old Clinic on the corner of Albion St. and Kirkland St.

Who remembers going there to have "Nitty Nora" (the nurse), examine your head for nits? I can also remember going there for my 6 pronged needle injection for TB, then having to return for the painfull arm injection, I still have the scar.

Nitty Nora the bug explorer!

Albion St clinic is still operating as a medical centre though under a new name. Most area's had those clinics in the 50/60s to take care of kids medical needs but I was scared of the nit nurse in case she found any crawlies. Our local clinic was at Lacey Street, Thatto Heath, which also doubled as the canteen.

I think that it was Albion Street and Kirkland Street. I'll change the thread title if that's confirmed.

YES IT IS ON THE CORNER OF KIRKLAND STREET AND ALBION STREET. ENTRANCE IN ALBION STREET. IT'S A MEDICAL CENTRE AND ON CALL DOCTORS.

It must have been built in the early 1950s. Before that was built, we used to go to Windle Pilk school for our baby milk, orange juice.. Alaso and rose-hip syrup etc. Also, I'm pretty sure that there was an above-ground air raid shelter in the same yard as the clinic

I remember going there in the war from HIGHER GRADE SCHOOL for hearing tests

I cxan see it now. A white single-storey prefab-type of building.

If you went there during the war, Jim, I must be a mile out with my guess that it was built in the early 1950s. I can remember going with my Mum to Windle Pilkington School in about 1947 to get our ration of powdered baby milk etc and then suddenly we got it from the Clinic in Kirkland Street

went there when there was a scare-cant remember what it was but hundreds of schoolkids went.It has the rounded desing reminiscent of the 50/60 era.Was it for diptheria or polio?

OK eveybody, I forgot to put "ON THE CORNER", if Dave would like to change it, many thanks?

I remember it well as children we used to play ball in the grounds on a night. I can't remember going there for any treatment however. All our TB injections were done in school and I think there was one in town, I remember going there for the drop on the tongue and the injection think it might have been polio. Nitty Norah the bug explorer as we children knew her came into our school.

Edited by SWIMMER