Sign in to follow this  
Vanwall

Geoff Duke

Extremely sorry to hear of the death of Geoff Duke. In one of my earlier posts I reminisced that, as a young lad in the fifties we used to walk to his bike shop and sit outside (along with a load of other kids) watching him working on his racing bikes, the smells and the sounds will last forever.

• Like (+1) 1

also sorry to hear about geoff duke what a rider, i too used to go to greenfield road to gaze at the racing bikes ,norton or gileara he used to have on display along with the everyday bikes i could never afford at the time.

My dad lived in Dentons Green Lane and was a friend of Geoff Duke , he used to take me to his shop in Greenfield Road when I was small.

Bought my first motorbike in 1958 at greehfeild road, a 250 BSA side valve, £60 it cost,,still got one,,a 800 cc vee twin suzuki.

Correct non sib I was allocated that work bench by handicraft teacher Spud Powell.Like a lot of Cowley boys I called into Duke's shop on my ay home and met him and he gave me his autograph which I still have.Came across as a nice man.Wonder why there's been lack of coverage in the media about his passing after all he was a multi world champ in his sport on both 500cc and350cc bikes.I remember him becoming the first rider to complete the IOM TT course at 100mph the had it re calibrated to 99.99 mph.

We lived at 61 Greenfield Rd. I got his autograph when I was getting the bread from Mr. Mort's shop that was next door but one to the showroom. He had come in for cigarettes or something. I swapped it for the South African rugby player.. Tom Van Vollenhoven? I think that was his name. It is sooooooooo long ago.

He lost his accent a bit didn't he? He mentions St. Helens in this video.

• Like (+1) 2

many thanks for that phyll,he was a real gentleman and will always be among my top hero.s

this one has him at Aintree with his St Helens business van in the background, go to about 50 secs if you're not really interested in the motorbike type stuff.

Edited by donkey o'tay

That was great donkey brings back memories as I was there that day.What about the pits and time keepers compared to today.Not to mention the bikes arriving in little vans.The fans fashions were interesting too

I've raced motorcycles at Aintree quite a few times but it was the shorter circuit (club racing). I never got the chance to go down the straight past the main stands.

AS TEENAGERS WITH BOYFRIENDS OR FRIENDS WITH MOTORBIKES WE USED TO MEET AT THE CATS WHISKERS CAFE AT CARR MILL AND HE WAS OUR HERO IN THE 1950's. ALSO RON STRETCH GREW TO BE QUITE FAMOUS.

• Like (+1) 1

this one has him at Aintree with his St Helens business van in the background, go to about 50 secs if you're not really interested in the motorbike type stuff.
I was fascinated by those pudding-basin helmets. When I first came to Carlisle in 1971 they'd been declared obsolescent and the makers, Kangol Helmets, were only making the full-face ones.

There were a few of the pudding-basin ones still around in a sort of unofficial museum we had. The ones from the 1950s were made from felt impregnated with resin. I doubt they'd have provided much protection. The most scary ones though had an integral fixed visor that broke a few necks when the rider fell face-down

Believe it or not they are still legal to wear as long as they were manufactured before the helmet legislation came in. Only the newest ones have to meet the newest safety standards. Something to do with retrospective legislation or something.

"olden Days" you brought such happy memories of the fifties at the carr mill. remeber what a meeting place it was for the motorbikes. great bikes and mainly british manufactured. many raced on the sand beach at southport / ainsdale particularly ron stretch

You can tell he loved his sport, he always looked so happy, I loved his smile.

Here's another couple of great videos of him.

The first one I had already put on the RIP thread, but some might have missed it.

Here's another one that should be of interest to Motor Bike enthusiasts and old timers! bigwink.gif

Great videos Phyll where on earth do you find them but less of the oldtimersohyeah.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Called in at Sports Direct yesterday and saw notices every where CLOSING DOWN ALL STOCK REDUCED.I get my golf bits and pieces there but noticed that the prices of these were much the same as before the notices went up.Has anyone noticed any price changes on other goods?

Sorry posted on wrong thread

On the isle of man TT prog this morning on ITV4 they did a tribute to Geoff with a interview with his son and some archive footage worth a watch

On 06/05/2015 at 23:27, Linguist said:

We lived at 61 Greenfield Rd. I got his autograph when I was getting the bread from Mr. Mort's shop that was next door but one to the showroom. He had come in for cigarettes or something. I swapped it for the South African rugby player.. Tom Van Vollenhoven? I think that was his name. It is sooooooooo long ago.

My dad lived at 63 Greenfield rd.