familyman

Where is Croppers Hill?

Hi Joyce, Interesting family history. I don't think the numbers have changed though,

I found 140 was still in the same place, I think 32 was where that waste ground/grass is now.

Check on this link, these houses are 38 and 36.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4501421,-2.748574,3a,75y,0.65h,94.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYcnNFzwlCz07yc_eO90tVA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Here's some pics of the TA, if you think it might have been near there.

StHelensTAC9c.jpg

TA_Recruitment_Office_Prescott_Road.jpg

According to Slaters 1895 Joseph Hatton was a butcher, Croppers Hill House 130 not 140 Croppers Hill. Someone said in a discussion on here a few years ago the houses were all renumbered in the 1950's

The houses on the right after Boundary Road mostly had names, but on the left Slaters suggests that Croppers Hill stopped at Tullis St yet the numbers do seem to run consecutiveley from Croppers Hill into Prescot Rd. Also Clifton terrace had its own numbers so its no wonder they renumbered the lot.

http://cheshiredirectories.manuscripteye.com/pdf/1895/05/index.htm

According to Slaters 1895 Joseph Hatton was a butcher, Croppers Hill House 130 not 140 Croppers Hill. Someone said in a discussion on here a few years ago the houses were all renumbered in the 1950's

The houses on the right after Boundary Road mostly had names, but on the left Slaters suggests that Croppers Hill stopped at Tullis St yet the numbers do seem to run consecutiveley from Croppers Hill into Prescot Rd. Also Clifton terrace had its own numbers so its no wonder they renumbered the lot.

http://cheshiredirectories.manuscripteye.com/pdf/1895/05/index.htm

Numbers not renumbered as long as I've lived here, and that's since 1944! In 1881 the old Croppers Hill House was still standing. The census for 1891 stops at 126 Croppers Hill. These houses were built in pairs starting with 124 & 126 in the mid 1880's, so 128 through to 140 must have been later. This appears to be borne out by the 1895 Directory that shows 124 & 126 and 128 & 130 as built, but James Hatton is still living in Croppers Hill House. The census for 1901 has him at 140 Croppers Hill. So, it looks as if Croppers Hill finished at Boundary Road, but the name changes to Prescot Road after 1901. The 1911 Census shows it as Prescot Road. Incidentally, an older map shows the whole road as Liverpool Road! Just to add to the confusion!

Edited by Incaman

Hi Tony, Having had ancestors at 118 Croppers Hill, I have looked at this area before and from my research,

I think the Hattons were a large family of Butchers, who originally came from Ashton-In-Makerfield.

The one you mentioned at 130 is Joseph, the one previously mentioned at 140 was James,

who I think was also a Butcher and later became part of St. Helens Town Council.

The discussion you mention about the houses being renumbered is actually on page 1 of this old thread,

which I'm still not convinced is right, so earlier when Incaman said that Croppers Hill House still has the

date 1886 on, I checked and the numbers still seem to fit, so I have to agree with Incaman, otherwise,

I don't know what the definitive answer is?

My Great Great Grandparents Edward & Martha Chadwick and 8 of their even larger family,

lived here at 118, if the numbers are right? dunno.gif

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4489821,-2.7516923,3a,75y,341.94h,85.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCWLChmmiYkl0twCqAkS7tw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Edited by Phyll

Hi Tony, Having had ancestors at 118 Croppers Hill, I have looked at this area before and from my research,

I think the Hattons were a large family of Butchers, who originally came from Ashton-In-Makerfield.

The one you mentioned at 130 is Joseph, the one previously mentioned at 140 was James,

who I think was also a Butcher and later became part of St. Helens Town Council.

The discussion you mention about the houses being renumbered is actually on page 1 of this old thread,

which I'm still not convinced is right, so earlier when Incaman said that Croppers Hill House still has the

date 1886 on, I checked and the numbers still seem to fit, so I have to agree with Incaman, otherwise,

I don't know what the definitive answer is?

My Great Great Grandparents Edward & Martha Chadwick and 8 of their even larger family,

lived here at 118, if the numbers are right? dunno.gif

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4489821,-2.7516923,3a,75y,341.94h,85.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCWLChmmiYkl0twCqAkS7tw!2e0!6m1!1e1

I think you've got it right Phyll. 118 though is in a different set of houses that were built BEFORE the terrace of 124-140 which is actually called HATTON TERRACE and the name can still be seen on the gateposts of 138/136. How did you get those pics of the TA centre on there?

Here is a link to a map from 1891 which I think will answer a lot of the queries raised about Croppers Hill and number 140.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101103971

The last two houses that are built in 1891 are 128 & 130. 130 is identified by the fact that Croppers Hill House is still standing and 130's back yard has an angle in it which follows the building line of the old house. I can see this angled wall from my window!

Thanks Incaman, That helps a lot.

The pics of the TA centre are from the 'Photos' section at the top of the page where you sign in,

look under 'Croppers Hill'.

Edited by Phyll

It's been mentioned before, it was called Combshop Brow, because that area manufactured Combs,

probably for combing wool/yarn for weaving, or even for human hair.

I used to live at number 30 Prescot Road which we also knew as Croppers Hill. This was just up from the TA buildings on the same side. I lived there in the 60's and the house we lived in was later demolished and is now just a grassed area.

On 03/11/2010 at 16:54, Phyll said:

Hello. Would this now be classed at 118 Prescot Road or am I completely wrong? 118 prescot road is facing Grace Court Care Home. Thanks

Edited by Kierran Meara

Hi KM, :welcome:  to Connect.

I haven't looked at this info. for a while, but yes it looks like "118 Croppers Hill" faces the Care Home, then later it was known as Prescot Rd. and now known as the A58?

Edited by Phyll

There's apparently a locked entrance at the top of Maxwell Street.

Thanks mate, I am aware of this one but unfortunately I don't have pick locking skills 😄 

I was hoping there would be a manhole entrance somewhere to be honest.

added 1 minute later

Or has anyone got a key they can borrow to me for the Maxwell street entrance ? 😇

Hi Familyman

Today, I found this post made by you in May 2004. In the 1901 census I found some off my relations living at 135 Croppers hill. Does anyone know where Croppers hill would have started and ended. I thought Croppers hill was the stretch of one way road between Boundary Road and the traffic lights at the junction of Eccleston street. But the other day I noticed a sign on the buildings near the lights that said that the road was Prescot road. If so when did id become Prescot Road.

I had only googled it to see if I could find 135 Croppers Hill after just researching my relatives living here in 1901 as well. We may be related?

I am researching the Glovers.

Love to here from you if this is a match.

Cheers

your original comment is correct.I think the confusion is shen the introduced the one way up borough road and down cropprrs hill.From my recollection GLOVER ST refers to GLOVERS and i believe there was links with slave trade.Plus those metal rings round necks are associated with GLOVERS.GLOVER ST off Liverpool road.

Hi just reading this interesting thread, I’m intrigued what are the Rally tunnels? Iv never heard of them before. 

Its a mistype.It should be railway.Its the filled in tunnels under borough road and croppers hill.You can still see some parts as the walls are still there in borough road. 

Thanks NSSO for taking time to reply, I’ll have a look on Borough road next time I’m down there 👍

Hi researcher have pm'd with details