familyman

Where is Croppers Hill?

<_< In the 1901 census I found some off my relations living at 135 Croppers hill. Does anyone know where Croppers hill would have started and ended. I thought Croppers hill was the stretch of one way road between Boundary Road and the traffic lights at the junction of Eccleston street. But the other day I noticed a sign on the buildings near the lights that said that the road was Prescot road. If so when did id become Prescot Road.

toots

I dontknow when it became Croppers hill, but as I know it, it seems to start at the traffic lights on the junction of prescot road and Eccleston st, goes up the hill, (you'll now find Croppers hill court there) and stops at alexandra terrace. I think.

I think it starts around the top of Boundary Road. Before that it is Prescot Road and somewhere further towards Prescot (around Eccleston Park I think) it changes to St Helens Road until the traffic lights in Prescot.

if you go to photographs and pinned old maps if you look at sw eccleston3 you can see croppers hill seems to start at junction of eccleston st and sw eccleston2 seems to end at west park rd before it turns to prescott rd

karen ;)

It's always been Prescot Road but the area was known as Croppers Hill and of course the sloping part of Prescot Road became known as Croppers Hill. In the old Census returns and prior to that, it is known as Comb Makers Brow as that was the main occupation of its residents.

CROPPERS HILL STARTED WHERE THE OLD SACRED HEART CHURCH WAS AND WENT ALL THE WAY UP TO THE BEGINING OF PILKS OFFICE TURN OFF WHERE IT THEN JOINED PRESCOT ROAD, GOING PAST TAYLOR PARK UP TO WEST PARK AND ON.

• Like (+1) 1

Walked up there a few times,missed the last bus from town ,so had to leg it home to Rainhill.

When did it become a one way system?It was one way in 1974 when we left.

Was that were they had a disco on a Sunday night?

I remember going to Paddies, which was in a hall behind the church.68/69 ish?

Yes, GG, I think I mentioned it once before, we used to hang out with Mods with Scooters.

When I was growing up in St Helens the A58 was formally known as Prescot Road from the junction with Eccleston Street, but I was aware that a section at the start of this stretch had at one time been called Croppers Hill and was still referred to by many as such. I believe that the renaming and the process of renumbering of some properties to absorb Croppers Hill into Prescot Road occured in the eary 1950s. As far as I can work out the reverting to Croppers Hill came when a fair number of the old terraced houses on the left-side of the road,(left that is walking up from town), were demolished and replaced by a new Croppers Hill development. As I understand it, the old Croppers Hill Pit, which functioned in the mid-nineteenth century, was located close to were Borough Road joins Croppers Hill. I'd be interested to know when that pit opened, as it would give an indication as to how old the name Croppers Hill may be.

BettyR

We were always told that the name Croppers Hill came about as a result of horses and pedestrians being unable to get a grip in icy conditions when going up and down the hill because of their horse shoes and clogs which were common then?

And of course the term “you’ll come a cropper”

I thought the name might be derived from the geological term, 'Outcrop' which does describe Croppers Hill; unless of course it's named after a person.

My surname is Cropper but I'm not aware of any of my forebears having any connection with the hill. The name can be traced back to an area near Southport and, as far as I know, it refers to the occupation of farmers!

There was in the fifties a field at the top of croppers hill which I knew as the Daisy fields, believe this was the place that Fibreglass was built on.

There was a large house with gardens on the corner of Boundary Road and Prescot Road, or Croppers Hill as it was known then in the late 19th Century and was called CROPPERS HILL HOUSE. It belonged to the church and was lived in by a Reverend Brindley. In the mid 1880's the land was bought by James Hatton and the house demolished. A large row of red accrington brick terraced houses called Hatton Terrace was built over several years and the end one which was double fronted became James Hatton's home, now converted into apartments. On the end of the terrace in Boundary Road you can still see the sandstone block that used to say "Croppers Hill House 1886" on it, although it's nearly worn away now. Also built around the same time was Hatton Street, now James Grove. Curiously in the 1911 Census the list of streets lists the road as Croppers Hill, but on the census return for each house they call it Prescot Road. So I guess officially it's Prescot Road from the lights up the hill and on to Eccleston Hill where it becomes St Helens Road, although the rise from the lights will forever be known as Croppers Hill!

It was the Daisy Fields where Borough Road joins Prescot Road but it was the Head Office of Pilkington Brothers, not Fibreglass that was built on the site in 1960. Fibreglass was built on the land behind Borough Road, the entrance being on the bend just after Enfield Street. I can remember them streaming out of there in the 1950's at the end of the working day after the hooter had sounded! No cars, just bikes and shanksies pony!

Edited by Incaman

In some areas of the country a 'cropper' was someone who 'cropped' the edges of silver coins for the silver.

This is correct and was the reason why silver coins with milled edges were introduced.

If cropping had occurred, the milling was worn away, the coins were worth less than face value and no one would acceot them.

On the end of the terrace in Boundary Road you can still see the sandstone block that used to say "Croppers Hill House 1886" on it,

Great post Incaman, that's very interesting, is this where you mean?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4488296,-2.7532709,3a,60y,79.25h,108.31t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9hN52tZTf25ALD-JAfmpgw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Found out from this link that the exact address of James Hatton was

140 Croppers Hill, which still fits in with the numbers today.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qaE9AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=croppers+hill+st+helens&source=bl&ots=8uy-ietHRm&sig=DiTbD5dhEU9_00736_zkRddANIA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Agx4VPMQ1tmwBPmngPgL&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=croppers%20hill%20st%20helens&f=false

And also found this.

Marriage: 11 May 1895 Christ Church, Eccleston, Lancashire, England

Henry Graham - 28, Glass Cutter, Bachelor, 27 Exeter Street Eccleston

Margaret Hatton - 26, Spinster, Cropper Hill House St. Helens

Groom's Father: Thomas Graham, Glass-cutter

Bride's Father: James Hatton, Town Counseller

Witness: Henry Worthington; Margaret Thomson

Married by Banns by: Samuel Edmund Waldegrave

Register: Marriages 1887 - 1898, Page 175, Entry 349

Source: LDS Film 1657567

Edited by Phyll

Great post Incaman, that's very interesting, is this where you mean? https://www.google.c..pgw!2e0!6m1!1e1 Found out from this link that the exact address of James Hatton was 140 Croppers Hill, which still fits in with the numbers today.

Yes, that's the place! The sandstone is now so weatherbeaten it's difficult to see the inscription at all. I have a picture of the terrace from the early 20th century, but I can't find how to attach it to this post! Done what it says on the site but doesn't work!

Edited by Incaman

Aww, that's a shame, I wouldn't know either, I would have liked to have seen it though.

I have a member of my family living at 32 Croppers Hill between 1881 and his death in 1902. I often wonder where this house would have been. I was visiting in this area in the summer and never thought to ask where about it was. It must have been a big house as the owner, William Gardner had 9 Children living there with him and his wife in 1881. He was the owner of a glass staining and benders works in Eccleston St. On the 1881 census it said he was a Master glass painter employing 11 men 3 boys and 1 woman. in 1902 when he died, his obituary said ".Mr. Gardner was a talented artist and the stain glass windows which were he designed by him and his works now ornament notable buildings in the country, including the Guildhall, London, Stonyhurst College, St Mary's church Wigan and Holy Cross Church, St Helens. The windows in which were executed so far back as 1862, and still maintain their pristine colours. One of his First production while he was with Messrs Pilkington Bros. a window representing St Michael was exhibited at the great exhibition in London in 1841 and was greatly admired".

My memory of Croppers Hill was between Eccleston St. and the top of Boundary Road. As he was living at 32 and it went to 140 the numbers must have changed. I think he must have lived where the Drill Hall was at the corner of Eccleston St and Croppers Hill, which would fit in with his works in Eccleston Street. If anybody knows any difference I would be interested to know..

Joyce