Sign in to follow this  
Robbob2010

Moon's Aura or Halo

Rob, ever tried to get a piccie of Jupiter and its moons. It's well placed at the moment and easy to find - brightest thing in the sky. I would imagine with the kit you have, you'd get a good result.

Dont be putting any pictures of Uranus on Rob

• Like (+1) 3

I'm sure our Robbob is far too much of a gent to do anything like that, gangad unsure.png.

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 2

Wanna bet Ollie and Gangad? Booty.gif:lol:

Ive seen it Plonker and it is bright and ill try it in the next few days.i dont think it will come out well as others have a bigger one than me.. lens :)

• Like (+1) 1

Cheers Rob, I'll look forward to seeing the results.

I had a go Plonker at 23:20pm (just gone 12 now) and my lens isn't powerful enough,i knew it but you can just see the ring that goes around it,well at either side of the planet.Tripod and different shutter speeds this was the best one i got

16149809773_deaeb0a2e0_b.jpgJupiter by Robbob©, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 1

Nice one Le200 I'm saving this to my bookmarks on the laptop now and also on me phone in the morning as the solar system have always fascinated me.

Theres a guy i know who lives in west park who owns a telescope,a big chunky one (ive not a clue about them and ive always wanted one but never got round to one) who has some kind of attachment that he can clip his dslr camera to it and his pics are out of this world,excuse the pun.

If you look at Saturn and speed the frame rate/time rate up you can see how the moons orbit it.

Everything you see with the program is what you would see through a telescope :)

Nice shot Rob but there aren't rings around Jupiter - that would have been Saturn which wasn't visible at 23:20. Your photo shows what looks like a ring sticking out either side which is actually Jupiter's closest moons merging with the image of Jupiter itself. A more powerful lens would resolve the moons more clearly. I believe your photo shows Jupiter with Calisto, Europa and Ganymede to the left and Io to the right. Thanks a lot for trying - much appreciated.

Yes your right Plonker thanks for the info,its way out of my league the solar system..i hope none of the neighbours at the back seen me last night with tripod out :o

BTW Rob, the 2 stars on the right hand side (orangey one and bluish one) are Castor and Pollux, aka Gemini, the heavenly twins.

Well that sums me up as i'm a Gemini..so called split personality,well sort of :lol:

I was down parr flashes this evening until 20:15 and what a site,wish i had a telescope,cheers again Plonker ;)

Love those pics rob keep them coming.

Suttyoak, at 930pm face south and look virtually straight up and you can't miss Jupiter - it's the brightest thing up there - apart from the moon. p.s. It's a Gas giant rather than an ice giant. BTW don't know if you are aware, there is a Solar eclipse on 20th March between 0830ish and 0930ish. It's not total in the UK but weather permitting it's worth a look. In the words of Patrick Moore, NEVER look directly at the Sun with binoculars or telescope or you could blind yourself.

What is the very bright star or planet at about 45 degrees to the horizon in a southwesterly direction?

I also heard Plonker that on the 19th the moon is closest to the earth?

That would be Sirius - the Dog Star - the brightest star in the sky. Re the Moon, you're right Rob - because it's closer than normal, it looks bigger and they call it a Super Moon.

Will try and get it weather permitting..any idea of what time the moon rises as its been comming up later this last week or so?

Edited by Robbob

Sign in to follow this