Sign in to follow this  
Robbob2010

Runcorn Bridge from the Mersey Bed

I'd like to say a huge 'Thank You!' for your efforts in getting those shots, Robbob - they're brilliant. Certainly seeing aspects of both bridges that none of us would normally see mwah1.gif.

Didn't know that the Rail Bridge was called 'Ethelfleda' - very Anglo-Saxon :D.

Is the building labelled 'Old Powerhouse' all that remains from the original Transporter Bridge?

Edited by Olliebeak
  • Like (+1) 1

Great pics. A mate of mine from Widnes showed me around there about 30 years ago but I didn't have a camera. It's fascinating !!!

Suggest you chuck them wellys Rob, god only knows what's in that sand :)

Your probably right Parrdog :)

I will post more in a few days time and thanks Ollie for the info

Gradely shots there Rob. Excellent piece of history right on our doorstep smile.png

Did you not get to Runcorn Castle, Rob?

Heres a few more

16439067971_c851cbca48_c.jpgRiver Mersey from the Mersey Bed at Runcorn by Robbob©, on Flickr

16439901332_b3fc7bd527_c.jpgFrom the Mersey Bed by Robbob©, on Flickr

16439903652_978c03814a_c.jpgFrom the Mersey Bed by Robbob©, on Flickr

16439076261_7aeb7cdf66_c.jpgFrom the Mersey Bed by Robbob©, on Flickr

16253177918_9897a8d3cc_c.jpgTunnel towards the Mersey Bed by Robbob©, on Flickr

15818335914_955cac90cb_c.jpgThe Mersey Bed by Robbob©, on Flickr

16414859306_6180fa050d_c.jpgRemains by Robbob©, on Flickr

• Like (+1) 2

That former power house would be a good place to house the new toll booth.

Runcorn is 1100 years old this year, founded by Ethelfleda as a bastion against the Vikings on our side of the Mersey. I wonder what they're doing to celebrate. I can't imagine they had much to celebrate during 1915 when it was its millennium birthday. Whatever they are doing we should get boats and crash their party dressed as Vikings.

Great pics as ever Robbob

I wonder how long that wreck has been there and what make and year it was! Great pics Rob.

Edited by tessmop

Carved in stone in the cutting just passed runcorn signal box,, is a beautiful carving of a naked lady, done by some navvy, ive been told, when the line was first dug out..

great pictures pity the old transporter was not there for you to shoot that. WATED ages to travel across on that in the late 40s early 50s

I'd like to say a huge 'Thank You!' for your efforts in getting those shots, Robbob - they're brilliant. Certainly seeing aspects of both bridges that none of us would normally see mwah1.gif.

Didn't know that the Rail Bridge was called 'Ethelfleda' - very Anglo-Saxon biggrin.png.

Is the building labelled 'Old Powerhouse' all that remains from the original Transporter Bridge?

In the year 914-915 Queen Ethelfleda fortified the whole line of the Mersey beginning at Runcorn and ending with a fortress at Warburton above Warrington and a third fortress at Eddesbury in the Delamere forest. Edward her brother assisted by fortifying Thelwall on the River Mersey. When the railway bridge became to be built a coffer dam on the Cheshire side of the river exposed remains of what archeologists believed to be remains of one of these fortresses and to commemorate this fact had mini fort like turretts added to both ends of the new bridge and of course named it after the Saxon Queen.

Edited by Dicky D
  • Like (+1) 1

Thanks DD - I'm well impressed with the history of Ethelfleda and her people .. why the hell had I never heard of her before now :dunno:.

All this fabulous history right on our doorstep, but not a word of it in lessons when I was growing up - those who planned the 'schools curriculum' in the 50's have much to answer for :angry:.

To think that I was expected to learn about stuff like the Napoleonic Wars instead just beggars belief :no:.

When I saw your post on Ethelfleda I was sure I had some stuff in my research notes and there it is.I was surprised to discover that she was also responsible for the walls surrounding Chester. Re: schools curriculum, I went through three sckhools local and never learned that the Rocket trials took place rup the road at Rainhill.

Come to think of it - neither did I ... they only ever mentioned Stockton - Darlington Railway.

Not even anything about Liverpool-Manchester being the first regular passenger route in the country (world?) and the scene of the first ever rail accident/fatality.

Never got told about the importance of the Sankey Canal/Navigation either ... only mention was of Bridgewater Canal being first Canal of the Industrial Era.

Oh the injustice of it all :angry:! All this stuff that went on around us and then never bothering to tell local school kids what they should be proud of!

My moan is the great war (1914 1918) I had it on my doorstep so to speak via my Grand-dad and his brother John.

• Like (+1) 1

I found these pictures on my phone and so I thought i might add them here ( although not as classy as Robobs )

I do get to see the Bridge and the Mersey in all its moods though !

20140517_115102_zpsbaus598s.jpg

20140517_115234_zpscgvdgn6c.jpg

A nice sunset Piccy ! everyone likes those

20140909_193514_zps1xyyvfgm.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Nice ones Mally,did you smell a stench when you was down there?

Sign in to follow this