Sign in to follow this  
artyfarty

Burchalls

Not sure Mr R but if you want pies you had better get there early, they still queue up outside in a morning waiting for them to open,

Loads of OAP with tupperwear boxes waiting for opening time having said that i dont know anywere that can do better pork pies of ham shanks love them

I know lots of people like them, but which parts of the pig does the meat in them come from?

Are you trying to give away another trade secret Hort? :)

It's mostly pig's cheek with a bit of belly pork thrown in.

There really are some things in life I don't need to know, probably eaten my last porky pie now puke.gif

Pig's cheek is a nice cut of meat. Very lean, you can buy it in most supermarkets and belly pork of course is very tasty.

Modern humans do seem to have a strange aversion to certain cuts of meat as if certain parts of an animal are somehow less worthy. I'd say it is more morally repugnant that they weren't eaten and just thrown away.

• Like (+1) 1

Been to Burchalls for my usual three Saturday pies I spoke to John and asked him what was in his pies they are made from 90% Pork shoulder and 10% of I would have to kill you, The recipe go's back to 1911 when the first shop was opened in Church St.

• Like (+1) 1

Lovely pies no matter whats in them ;) but can i hell think of the bloke who serves there aswell as John..it it Alan? as i dont go in.He's a boxer and good too.

I used to take my son to boxing just behind the Green Dragon Pub in Sutton Manor.He's down to earth and the last time i spoken to him he said he trains at Lowe House now as that one closed down,if no one knows ill pop in when I'm passing

Modern humans do seem to have a strange aversion to certain cuts of meat as if certain parts of an animal are somehow less worthy. I'd say it is more morally repugnant that they weren't eaten and just thrown away.

So Donks, is a pig's arse, Pork?

I spoke to John yesterday Ned as he passed me,i was right..Alan is his name and he still works there and still trains at Lowe House

I'll be coming to the North West this year from the end of July until September. The only reason I visit Westfield St is to have a Burchalls pie or two. I believe they close for a couple of weeks in the summer for holidays, can anyone tell me what are those dates so I don't waste my time?

Shop will close end of July for about 10 days.Enjoy your pies.

Thanks for the info Dig. What a bummer. I’ll have to wait until mid August for my taste of heaven.