Sign in to follow this  
Loz

Mayor for Merseyside

It was given quite some air time tonight on North West Tonight. Anderson Liverpool Mayor and not a lover of St Helens was interviewed and I feel realises he will be a shoe in for the position and Grunewald our leader who frankly came across very poorly.

I fear this could be another nail in the coffin of this once proud town. Liverpool is now seeing investment that is smothering our town and the cheap transport links make it cheaper to travel by train from Lea Green to Liverpool, than by bus from Marshalls Cross to Town.

Don't follow it - what is merseyside? St helens is surely in Lancashire. Sounds like another fancy job title. Power grabbers.

just another job title for someone , oh how much is the job worth

let each council have their own purse .i didn't want to be in Merseyside.

I could almost see the pounds and pence signs in Andersons eyes last night.I wonder if and when this new "authority"is set up wether or not the number of members will be in proportion tp each member authority size.I can see the mighty Liverpool receving the lions share to the detriment of the other authorities. I for do not want to be ruled by Liverpool.Wonder if we will be given a chance to vote on the matter I've a feeling we wont as we will be considered too thick to appreciate the "benefits" the scheme will bring us

no benefits for us just another job for the boys

Don't follow it - what is merseyside? St helens is surely in Lancashire. Sounds like another fancy job title. Power grabbers.

Hi Aquaphibian, How long have you been away? St. Helens has been in Merseyside since it's creation in 1974!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside

Edited by Phyll

Ive mentioned this before but me Grandad in the 70`s/80`s when writing a letter always put Lancashire,i prefer it too :)

• Like (+1) 1

But Merseyside is quickly becoming Liverpool, Knowsley are happy with this, are we as a town. I am far from anti Liverpool I just think we have fell so far behind Widnes and Warrington it's sad. The council leader is a politician from Scotland using the town as a stepping stone.

The centre of town is low on shops and high on hostels, it is losing its pride and we don't seem to have plan to turn it around

We may have been Merseyside in 74 but it did not work so it was scrapped now they want to bring it back, Will it work this time i don't think so.

i am Lancastrian not a B- - - - y scouser this is red rose territory no matter how london try to screw us and liverpool try to smother us , Plus our labour leader of the council is a scotsman no feeling for our heritage no matter what excuses they put out he was brought in by our MP a turncoat tory another jobs for the boys sorted all this stuff is pushed though the back door no chance of a vote they might get the wrong answer we are not asked we are dictated to to chance of democracy with this lot none

our MP a turncoat tory
Good God, that takes me back to the 1950s when Sir Hartley Shawcross MP for St Helens was nicknamed Sir Shortly Floorcross :)

Liverpool is in Lancashire too you know! Merseyside is not a County - it is an "administrative area" created by politicians for their benefit. There are plenty of other examples of this - Teeside; Tameside; Humberside - So keep putting Lancashire on your address and to h*** with the lot of 'em!

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder what it was called before Lancashire? I wonder if it got on peoples nerves when the name was imposed? For whose benefit was it to be called Lancashire? I used to be all irrationally defensive and possessive of the old word, but then I got past caring. :)

• Like (+1) 2

I think it was the West Derby Hundreds but I may be wrong.

To be honest Dave I think that is what is killing the town the people in power don't care and that feeds apathy in all of us.

We have seen a Tory MP thrown on us and now we have a 71 year old as our new vibrant MP. Marie would have been great ten years ago but this is a joke now.

Bet you Grunewald succeeds her. I would try to get out now before Joe Anderson creates Greater Liverpool and he will.

• Like (+1) 1

Bet you Grunewald succeeds her

Yep - that's what many are betting at the moment. I wonder what the odds would be? Marie Rimmer is unlikely to do more than one 5 year stretch.

But only if she gets found guilty Dave

• Like (+1) 1

As everybody seems to agree that this council is not good, then maybe a bit of scouse energy and drive might be just what's needed to shake it up! We're already part of Liverpool anyway - have you listened to the accents around town lately?

Edited by Incaman

Spot on, the changing accent is the first thing that strikes me when I go back to St Helens. The Lancashire burr that was so common, especially in the older parts of the borough like Sutton and Parr, when I was a lad has totally disappeared

That is quite true, and in many cases it has had really positive results, Dave Watts for one. The bigger picture is do we want to be part of this Liverpool region and why are so many hostels and half way houses in the town centre habited by people with Liverpool accents?

I was born in the town and remember when a Liverpool accent was unusual. Now most of my young neighbours speak scouse and my two granddaughters (born in St Helens) seem to have a bit of a Liverpool twang they've picked up from school friends.

That is quite true, and in many cases it has had really positive results, Dave Watts for one. The bigger picture is do we want to be part of this Liverpool region and why are so many hostels and half way houses in the town centre habited by people with Liverpool accents?

It's because we can't send them too far from home lest they get homesick, little loves. that and the Human Rights Act no doubt!