Sign in to follow this  
jim woodward

cyril st.

Hi Jim,

Silkstone Street off Boundary Road used to be called Cyril Street.

Are you Peter's brother?

thanks aquaphibian,no i dont have a brother peter.i am searching family history and had relatives living in cyril st 1900,and my father samuel in doulton st,1920's to 50's. i also am saints supporter and went to grange park 1960-75

Hello JW 15 years at Grange Park School was a long time. Were you a student or treacher?

I was there 1960 to 1965.

Hi Jim, welcome.gif to Connect. Here's a bit of info. and a map for you from the Connect Streets List.

http://www.sthelens-connect.net/home/doc.php?showstreet=568

This first link mentions Cyril Street, part of the Newtown site below, which has lots of great info. & photos.

http://home.freeuk.net/newtownst/page7.html

http://home.freeuk.net/newtownst/index.html

hi,HORT.sorry typing error.i was a student at g.p.t.s.from 1960-65.some of classmates i remember were,bill lawrenson,malcolm hall,tony twist.johnny walsh ex saint think was year above me,also paddy kilgannon

thanks aquaphibian,no i dont have a brother peter.i am searching family history and had relatives living in cyril st 1900,and my father samuel in doulton st,1920's to 50's. i also am saints supporter and went to grange park 1960-75

Hi Jim

I was at Grange Park 1961-68 and played rugby with those you mentioned in your post.

The 'other' Jimmy Woodward went to Grange Park as well 1957-62. he lived in Gladstone Street. I recall the name Sam Woodward from my street, Doulton Street.

Aqua

hi,aquaphibian.yes my father,sam lived with the Cauldwells in doulton st,from early 1920,s.do you remember Alma the barber at the end of street.he only had 2 fingers on one hand.i sat on a plank across the seat while he cut my hair.also remember the bookies runner,used to go in back gate to put dad's bet on.

hi,aquaphibian.yes my father,sam lived with the Cauldwells in doulton st,from early 1920,s.do you remember Alma the barber at the end of street.he only had 2 fingers on one hand.i sat on a plank across the seat while he cut my hair.also remember the bookies runner,used to go in back gate to put dad's bet on.

Of course I recall Cissy Cauldwell and her sons Linden and David. My uncle Frank (Dooley) used to have the Illegal bookmakers at the back of the house next to Jean's chippy and opposite my grandmothers shop. Betting shops became legal in 1961 which took a bit of the devilment out of the process. All the punters had psuedonyms in case their slips were intercpted by the law Red Roger, V et sl.