Sign in to follow this  
speedycarft

Burial records

Hi

I am struggling with finding the burial locations for the following and wondered if someone may be able to help? All died in St Helens..

Margaret Gutteridge died 1932 approx age 75

Thomas Wilson died 1918 approx age 67

John Wilson 1861 approx age 47

John Wilson 1864 approx age 80 - service was at Birchley St Marts, Billinge. It mentions Windleshaw but no record on the St helens deceased site so I am trying to find the burial plot.

At Windleshaw there are two Wilson graves that include a John

391/392
Thomas and Matilda Wilson sons Jonathan and John Wilson
Thomas died 1944 age 59 Matilda died 1975 aged 87, it doesnt say about the brothers

John and Ann Wilson of St Helens
James their son who died 1810 age 7 months
Margaret their daughter died 1810 age 2y 6months
Elizabeth their daughter died 1810 age 10 months
no date for the parents
Ned may have more details, if you want the whole inscription on the grave for these let me know, also I can let you know approx area in the yard they are if you want to visit

There are many Wilsons at Windleshaw but none others that fit your dates

No Margaret Gutteridge there though

Edited by RATTY

Many thanks for your help Ratty.

My Thomas was married to a Mary Ann (nee: O'Neill). So I don't think that is the same Thomas. However, I do have a Matilda Wilson in my tree (1887-1975) but I have her down as married to a Jonathan Wilson (1885-1944).

Not sure if the John Wilson is the same one as I have records of their children from baptism records at St Mary's Birchley and it doesn't seem to match.

How do I find out about other graveyards in St Helens and are the Windleshaw records obtainable from anywhere?

Sacred heart of Jesus have mercy on the soul of Jonathan the husband of Matilda Wilson died 18th May 1944

My Jesus mercy Mary help

Also John Wilson brother of the above and Thomas their father

Also Mathilda Wilson his wife died 2nd February 1975

this is No 392

I have only done the old section so your Wilson's may be buried in the New Section and I have not found them yet

Thank you. This looks like one of the ones I was after. Is there actually a stone in the yard? Is the above the inscription from the stone? How do I locate the stone from the number 392?

Cheers

There's a map of the Windle Chantry graveyard here (click the picture to enlarge).

As you go in from Abbey Rd go up the path and to the left of the Abbey you will see the remains of a cross go to the front that is facing Abbey Rd your family grave is the one on the right hand corner

If you p.m. me I may be able to meet you there. The owners is Wilson

Burial records A lady as started coming to the F.H.meeting on Tuesday she is looking for the Anders Family. I help her to do a little research down to a John Anders on his Marriage lines he says his father is Peter Anders I knew this was wrong as his mother Ellen was not married and I have the bastodian order against a Peter Marsh proof well maybe. but here is more proof I have just found John is Buried in the Abbey and guess what in the same grave is Peter Marsh So that is why BURIAL RECORDS are so important

• Like (+1) 1

Very true Ned and if you can find it , always visit the grave because sometimes what isnt in the records is on the stone and vice versa.

The best is some of the epitaphs I may put a few on here later

Great Ned I love things like that. And graveyards from other countries are fascinating. Lol, I have an amazing collection of images of gargoyles.

I used the burial records from the site and in so doing-as a mere novice!I worked through the people buried within the plot.It gave vast amounts of linked info across the generation.Is the sthelens cemetry site records still accessible.I havnt worked on my family tree for some time.

Great Ned I love things like that. And graveyards from other countries are fascinating. Lol, I have an amazing collection of images of gargoyles.

Agreed.

This site might be of interest: there is an annual conference, a peer-reviewed journal and many related connections that are helpful.

I'm not currently a member but have been in the past, and have given papers for them.

Association for Gravestone Studies:

https://www.gravestonestudies.org/

They support campaigns to save early stones, to do proper stone conservatorship, and to document burial sites in danger of being lost or overgrown.

They also do school outreach programs, etc.

Some of the material discussed on this site might make a good paper submission; I could look a submission over via private message if anyone is interested in what is required.

Best--C.

Over the last 15 years I have done a little research on Family History which got me in to looking for the graves of my family that are long gone. I then started to look in to the lives of others I ended up knowing about 300 graves and the stories of the people I have been all over the place and we always call in to the Church Grave yards, I am about half way though writing about my research. The problem it that after you do all the work others take the credit so is it worth it

As far as Gravestone Studies over here very few are willing to help

• Like (+1) 1

Speedycarft if you go in to search and put face there is some photos of the Abbey your Family Grave is on there it is the one with a man dressed in black and just to his right hand you will see a stone it is the grey one with a pointed top

Went to a talk about the Titanic in 2012 and it got me thinking so after a bit of research I found this in a cemetery in Colne the grave of a Wallace Hartley

In loving Memory of Wallace Henry , the beloved son of Albion and Elizabeth Hartley, formerly of Colne, who lost his life in the S.S. titanic Disaster on April 15th 1912 aged 33 years and was interred on May 18th 1912

Two weeks after the titanic sank his body was found his body was then sent back to England Packed in ICE on board the S.S. Arabic

There is also memorial to the town Erected by voluntary contributions to commemorate the heroism of a native of this town

This is part one of three parts so more to follow

• Like (+1) 2

Part two

While researching the Cemetery to do one of my tours in 2010 I found this grave on Sect 6

Owen Hugh the dearly beloved son of the above who lost his life though the sinking of the Arabic

August 13th 1915 aged 28 years

He was the Son of Robert And Catherine Owens

44 killed

Edited by Ned

Part Three

In the Abbey we have the family grave of the Leyland's and written on the stone is

Also William Leyland son of the above who was lost on the Lousitania

7th May 1915 Age 45 years

That's three of the worsted shipping disasters (civilian) and shows how things get connected

Would not Owen Hugh Owens be on the list also

Good point Ned - he is now.

Would you like a photo of the grave stone ?

Also I will have a look at Joseph Swift to see what he died of and if he was connected to the war effort

Here's one that is a nice tribute to his wife

A wife so true there are but few

And difficult to find

A woman more just & true & true to trust

Than is not left behind