linda rossie

pickavance haulage

was in the right place at right time-M6/M62 stone needed-Billinge Lump nearby!Gladly theyve filled it all in and landscaped it over the years.

Living in Longshaw in the 1960s I use to take the dog up Billinge hill every night and watched Picavances 24hr operation of crushing all the quarries backfill of stone.

The quarry had closed after 150 years so there was plenty of stone to crush.

After 5 years Picavances operation had transformed the area and the motorways were marching on.

We then moved to Moss Bank, the massive lorries use to race up the hill like bats out of hell in low gear and the vibrations caused many wall to fall,

eventually a max 3 ton load was put on the road so that Picavances lorries had to go via Car Mill still racing to get an extra load in the day.

Every time I saw a pickavance lorry they were going like a bat out of hell,it wouldn't surprise me if the film hell drivers was based on pickavance lorry drivers.

my grandmother was jane pickervance who married charles burns, born in back barracks, to jane marsh and george pickervance, any connection ?

We have Both Pickervance and Pickavance in our tree.Do you have any earlier info.Our spellings vary right back to 1841

• Like (+1) 1

hi, its pickavance,   my grand mother jane pickavance  1881-1938 married charles burns, her parents   jane marsh 1848-1931 married george pickavance 1850-1929, his father william pickavance 1780-1863 married mary gills, his father john pickavance married sarah rylance  many thanks is this of any help, i also have the siblings og jane, george ect if we are related and you need them    many thanks janet

None of those marriages appear,sadly .Our pickavances 1841 were in bromilow buildings and in fact the families there married.We used this site for quite a bit of info on genealogy if you havnt yet.Plus Lancashire Parish clerks lists.

Edited by NSSO

One of my Gt Grandmothers was a Pickavance.  Her father was George Pickavance who was the landlord at the Eccleston Arms in 1871.  No clue if there's any connection to the haulage company.