Sign in to follow this  
Degsy

H C Grundy

I have come across an old clear glass bottle which is marked H G Grundy, St Helens. I would guess that it is probably 1920s. I have never hard of H.G. Grundy and can find nothing on the internet so I was wondering if anybody could assist and enlighten me. Thank you.

In addition to the above I also have one from Stringfellows Wine and Spirit Merchants. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think Grundy's was the name of a pop maker. Stringfellows was a forerunner of the supermarket and situated on the corner at the Junction of Bridge St, and Ormskirk St.

My memory is fading quicker than my eyesight so others on here may correct me.

I agree on both counts. I think Stringfellow disappeared in the early 1950s. I remember it for its overhead cash receipt and change mechanism. Seemed a bit like a suspended model railway set. You purchased your goods and the assistant placed details plus your money into a wire container that then went to the cashier in a separate office. A minute later your receipt and change came back along the same "funicular ". The assistant then wrapped up your goods and handed over your change and the receipt.

A classic example of over-manning

Stringfellows was at the corner of Bridge Street and Ormskirk Street its a coffee house now.The wine and beer sales was downstairs in the basement.My parents used to buy their Xmas booze there and I can still remember the order.Abottle of Tarragona wine,bottle of Sandeman's port and a bottle of Q.C.sherry

Yes. Grundys sold pop from the back of a wagon that went round the estates near me. The popman stopped selling Grundys and started to sell pop called "Alpine" And not as good in my view. Did anyone ever go in the temperance bar on Liverpool rd? As you went down Liverpool rd, towards town, as you went in, the bar was on your left and served pop. I could actually remember the smells of different drinks for a minuite then!

The crazy council demolished the shops and houses around that area, and built some real ugly houses. As I remember, they then put new roofs on them and not long after, knocked them down too, so as to build a rat adventure playground. At the moment we are in for a developers treat,we are getting something else to talk about soon!

Hey, while they digging about on the site, maybe they can find some historic treasures!

• Like (+1) 1

Arthur Johnson proprietor of The Temperance Bar. Hot Bovril, warm blackcurrant, Horlicks I think. Not forgetting the smell of his pipe tobacco ! Cant remember his daughter's name who helped him.

Holiday treat with my Mam and Dad.Savoy or Cap cinema then stop off at the Liverpool Road temperance bar for a glass of Saphorella,I think that's how its spelled.Dad straight into a real bar when we arrived home so much for temperance.

a glass of Saphorella,I think that's how its spelled

Sarsaparilla. I had to look it up, so we're both wiser :)

Thanks Alan we're never too old to learn.

Harry Grundy had a manufa turing business in Haydock Street making mineral water, tonic water, this was very good. He also made pop which he delivered to numerous premises in and around St Helens. He delivered to Sutton Manor Miners club. He was a lovely man who lived along Prescot Road not far from the Grapes Hotel.

Used to get Pasha cigs from Arthur Johnsons temp bar.
they were Turkish,, flat like someone had sat on them.

BETTER THAN NONE AT THE TIME

Do we know if this Harry/Henry Grundy mineral water manufacturer died in 1963? If it's right, it was H.C. Grundy (Henry Critchley Grundy, a first cousin twice removed) 1882-1963.

stringfellows moved to the corner of tontine st. and market st.it later became a discount food store..

my sister and used to go there at Christmas for a bottle of tarragona wine for our mam.

I believe it is now a weatherspoons. the building became a food store in the 1980s (love to know the name.'

Edited by hiss

I believe it was Gallimore wines at one time and later Star Value..

yep but wonder how many can name ANY of the little shops that used to be in that little st at the side.Dont cheat by looking at one of the fotos on this site though!

This is a long shot after four years!  Do you still have the bottle from Stringfellows and if so would it be possible for you to take a photograph of it?  I am researching Gervase Stringfellow as part of a family tree and it would be a wonderful addition.

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 13:20, kizzy said:

I believe it was Gallimore wines at one time and later Star Value..

it was called gallies/galley's wine merchants