Sign in to follow this  
shyboy44

industries,,old and new in proud st helens can we find 100 different p

how many member can add to out list of industries in st helens . past and present.. obveously pilks is first for glass.. ravenhead for bricks, forsters for glass..samual mercer pies.. crosbys

for springs greenalls excellent beers.. beachams..pills and powders.. what was it that created the duckery just off derby hill road

Here's a few - Coal - before all the pits closed. Chemicals - before most of the the chemical works moved down to Widnes. Several foundries including Dagleish's (in Foundry st). Brewing - several makers. Must be other industries as well.

The Glove making factory at Parr.

Watch Making, Comb Making, Pottery St Helens and Rainford carbourudem Stone Rainford, Copper smelting

Burchall's opened in Church St in 1911 that's 103 years a go more like four or five generation, another one that started in 1911 was Alf Murphy coal dealers I think that these are the two oldest that are still run by the family's do's anyone know of any others that are still going to-day

Rockware Glass for glass containers that came after Fosters.

Davies Pottery.- Clay pipe makers- Dolly Blue works at MickleHead green, Magnum in Reginald Road

Red Oxide at Peasley cross

I think that these are the two oldest that are still run by the family's do's anyone know of any others that are still going to-day

Bartons in Duke St

Thumpa I do not know about Barton's But I do know about Barton's Pickles they started about 1905 selling pop

WOw` what a respnse. i bet when counted there will be more than one hundred industries. i rember the glove factory.but not sure of the name was it tootles.

how long has hampsons iron mongers been in shaw st, even thoug a non-productive business it ha been a part of st helens a while.

what was the cause of all the heaps of slag that once adorned jackson street;.. and was rock sand a money spinner for st helens i say this because a huge quarry

was created on holt lane, and thousands of tonns went to make way for the railway line after leaving st helens central station liverpool bound.

may i say thank you to everyone who has shown a interest in this thread so far.. but does anyone remember any coach/saloon- sharra. or whatever they were called

that took the young kids out for the highlight of the year to blackpool from the local clubs..with bensons and clockface crisps, along with bartons lemonade..

The heaps of waste that used to line Jackson Street were various types of chemical waste from the chemical industries that eventually relocated to Widnes. The main chemical company at that time was Kurtz. My granddad used to live just off Jackson Street and he remembered the explosion that virtually ended that factory. In his words, as kids they found a man's head in Jackson Street

Holman and Mitchell

Edited by Pete

ELLISONS, GAVIN MURRY.,COACH FIRMS.+a few more..

Blackpool. with a wee wee stop at the half way house.
and a piss up on the way back.

There was also Roughdales and Greengate Brick foundry's..

Tootles as mentioned above was the shirt factory in Rainhill (I think).

Paint factory was St Helens Paint Co.

Hamsons I think was in Liverpool Rd and moved to Shaw St about 1965

Tyrers 1881 corner of Church St and Salsbury St

Bridges one of the first to have a Coach which was a coal waggon in the week then at weekends a coach body was put on

Fosters Glass... was an Munitions Factory in WW1

British Sidac made silk Parachutes in WW2..

Ashdown's perspex works off Holm Road. It later became Triplex and is now a housing estate.

A rail-wagon sheeting works on Penlake Lane

Cardox on Southport st in Parr. They made carbon dioxide based excavation charges (alternative to explosives) originally developed for coal mining. Company still in business but not in St Helens.

G&W Collins food wholesalers on Tontine St where the Range now stands.